How to properly remove adhesive left from paper covers on goggle lenses

northcoastaero

northcoastaero

Occasionally, I acquire new old stock M-1944, Sun/Wind/Dust, B-8, etc. goggle

lenses and would like to know how to properly remove the adhesive that is

left on the lenses from the paper coverings without damaging the lenses.

Any suggestions on products and methods would be appreciated. Thank-you.

I'm curious to hear the answer also. I will relate a story from my experience where a friend was trying to clean the plastic polarized lens from the goggles. He showed me the lenses after he had tried using hot water to clean them up and the lens had delaminated. I asked how hot the water was and he said too hot to be comfortable putting your hand in it.

My first instinct would be to gently use steam...like from a tea kettle... you could regulate the exposure of the lens to the steam relatively easily and evaluate if it's working or not...or if the risk seems to be increasing.

I have not tried this...it's just an idea....

Steam may also be too hot. Remember, water coverts to steam at temps above 212 degrees F.

Try using denatured alcohol of odorless mineral spirits. Both go on cold and evaporate. Both are safe for plastics. Both are solvents that I use to remove sticky labels from just about anything. Just to be safe try a bit on a Q-tip to see if there is any effect on the plastic lens.

I would not use acetate or anything stronger, they will melt the plastic.

I recall having a bunch of never-used lens with the paper stuck to it and it seemed like it was there to stay, or at best would be like trying to remove old dried masking tape (which is just about impossible without damaging something). Take a look at the masking tape suggestions (one of which is olive oil) https://www.google.com/?client=safari&channel=mac_bm#safe=off&channel=mac_bm&q=removing+old+masking+tape

northcoastaero

Thank-you for the product suggestions and link. Olive oil and Johnson's baby oil sound safe. I believe

that I used rubbing alcohol years ago and it fogged the lens. I will also look into the denatured alcohol

and odorless mineral spirits.