Mixed bag of Vietnm era USAF ASA RR spook patches

Mitch

Hi guys,

I have not posted for awhile. I purchased a mixed bag of patches from a fellow member (thanks)at the SOS a few months ago and I'm just getting around to showing them. Most are Viet made. Any questions let me know. Comments welcome.

Regards, Mitch

post-592-0-62328000-1492819919.jpg

firefighter

I think the 552nd was/is an AWAC Wing? I really like the OSI Spook guy.the Radio Research units are Army, as is the flag which is more modern unit.

Special Investigation command emblem is the USAF Office of Special Investigation (OSI), the Air force's NCIS.

I've never seen the command emblem without "Office of..."

firefighter

Special Investigation command emblem is the USAF Office of Special Investigation (OSI), the Air force's NCIS.

I've never seen the command emblem without "Office of..."

I was thinking the same thing.Since it looks like the older lage shields, I'm thinking first version?

I think the 552nd was/is an AWAC Wing? I really like the OSI Spook guy.the Radio Research units are Army, as is the flag which is more modern unit.

FF,

Any help appreciated . I have not nailed down the 552nd id yet. All 3 patches are Japanese made and came together with the Japanese made CVA-62 spook patch in one my other post. Not sure if they go together. The ASA and RR are all Viet made .

If you need better pictures, let me know.

Regards, Mitch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/552d_Air_Control_Wing

The 552d Air Control Wing became an AWACS wing after it stood down from the Vietnam War. Wikipedia has an extensive write up on it.

The black circle with the white cross mark suggests the rotating radar feature of the AWACS aircraft.

The 552d would have an Intel shop just like any other Wing in the Air Force.

firefighter

FF,Any help appreciated . I have not nailed down the 552nd id yet. All 3 patches are Japanese made and came together with the Japanese made CVA-62 spook patch in one my other post. Not sure if they go together. The ASA and RR are all Viet made .If you need better pictures, let me know.Regards, Mitch

The 265th RRU was attached to the 101st A/B Div. The subdued ASA one looks to be an aviation unit, not sure which one.T

I forgot who the 7th RRU was attached too.Those OSI ones are very cool, you didn't want to be called into talk to them.