WW2 USMC burlap Raider Helmet

ArchangelDM

The one on Baystate was posted here with better quality photos in 2011: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/121115-nice-wwii-burlapcamo-m1-helmet/

In the original post I liked the helmet but seeing the pictures and blowing them up off BS sale sight I'm a bit skeptical.

THe net looks to have been removed to me as I see pattern marks where the net was on the back view above some of the net lines.I would expect something painted to have been stuck in place.The net in the front when blown up doest look like it was or is formed to the rim of the helmet and not worn or frayed as one would thing a helmet worn would be.

Also the lack of wear to the rim where the burlap doesn't touch.Not only in the front but the back where the burlap is shorter or appears to have worn away.The burlap looks pretty bright to me where not painted and not something I would think of being almost 80 years old.Even stored in ideal conditions I would expect to see a dull ness to it.Its often mentioned here about rust and how covers stick to helmets.I wonder if the burlap is stuck to this one?

THe condition of the liner is really nice and nice fiber ones exist but this shows not a lot of wear or handling.No paint spatter from painting the net and burlap.Granted the liner could have been removed when done but having the liner in while painting is a way to keep the net and cover from moving or sliding around the helmet.Also for something to be together for 70 plus odd years I would think the netting would have left some serious tracks in that liner from being wedged between the shell and liner.Was the liner original to it or a replacement?

Also viewing the photos posted on the forum originally there appears to be sections of the burlap missing or worn away on the front and top.If this cover was painted on this helmet why isn't there paint bleed through onto the helmet shell? Also if the spots were worn off from use there isn't any visible damage to the factory finnish below.

Maybe it spent its life in a foot locker as for its condition but for the price it brought on BS I would want it named or some serious chain of ownership.

Just not a real fan of it at this time and maybe it would be different if in hand.To many unknowns for me. :mellow:

DSCN7605s.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some amazing photos from my pacific warriors book , showing all members of the 2nd Raider battalion hunkering down and ready for engagement with the Japanese.

Notice all members of the battalion are wearing burlap covers with the netting like the one I own. Also they are using low pressure liners

Im still shocked how identical mine is too all the known pics of them in use.

D.C

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
juodonnell2012

Just bringing this thread back up, a possibility of why there is a later liner with this helmet, is because it could have belonged to a member of the 22nd MEU. I was doing research last night on a 22md meu grouping I have and found that elements of the 3/22 landing teams at Eniwetok wore an array of burlap covered helmets, some with plain burlap, others with burlap and nets and some appear to be camouflaged. It could be there were some former raiders on these teams that carried the practice over from their raider days. Just a thought.

Just bringing this thread back up, a possibility of why there is a later liner with this helmet, is because it could have belonged to a member of the 22nd MEU. I was doing research last night on a 22md meu grouping I have and found that elements of the 3/22 landing teams at Eniwetok wore an array of burlap covered helmets, some with plain burlap, others with burlap and nets and some appear to be camouflaged. It could be there were some former raiders on these teams that carried the practice over from their raider days. Just a thought.

I would agree and say why not

Anything is possible, replacement liner but kept his beloved burlap camo helmet.

Thanks for the time and input

Yours

Dean

• 4 weeks later...
Government Issue

Wonder what justifies the increase in price to that extent? Isn't that two times what that helmet was listed for originally? There's still no ID of who it belonged to or any ownership. I found that website a couple months back and wanted to make a post but forgot about it. Thanks for bringing it up NoQuarter. They have other helmets listed as well with "certificates". It's interesting to say the least...

Im a frequent visitor of there site since Im from Europe and always on the look for M1s.

But imho their helmets and items seems to be many times way to overpriced.

There offering a high quality site with high quality pics but idk if that justifys some of their prices...

ArchangelDM

The item is worth what someone is willing to pay,

If indeed it is a raider helmet than how often do they come up ?

Ive seen 3 including mine, difference with mine is that its near identical to the period photos. This one seems to have a much looser burlap cover, where mine is fuzed and incrusted on. That being said I still think this is a nice piece, and if correct has rarity on its side.

That being said the huge jump in price here on that website and it still being there is a telling sign

• 1 month later...
SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

NO EXPERT . How did this . stay together?? It is wonderful and rare as it is!! How it displays says everything about the PTO

In the photo of the dark trouser pair with the M1 and the 1911. Garand has the single slot gas screwplug that might help date the photo

• 8 months later...

Not trying to derail the thread but I am curious does anyone know the proper nomenclature for the rubber boats used by raiders as seen in the previous pics?

Not trying to derail the thread but I am curious does anyone know the proper nomenclature for the rubber boats used by raiders as seen in the previous pics?

The LCRL or LCR (L) (Landing Craft Rubber Large)

This is incredible. Im not sure who would buy this helmet for this kind of money? Especially in Europe when there is NO CHANCE (for me) to find orgin item like these. Tons of repro stuff made in a basement and sell like a orgin one for naive collector with bigger wallet than knowledge. That is say :(

Regards,

Jerry