WW2 USMC burlap Raider Helmet

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

Just curious, but would the soldier had sent it home sometime during his service?

I would think by 1943-1944 the soldier would've just switched his burlap cover for an issued Frogskin cover

Could have been sent home if he was wounded or died in the call of duty. Also why change a perfectly good camo ?

Once you pull it out you will never be able to get it back in just right.

+1

It will never be the same once the liner is yanked and dicked with.

The question was asked before about where or how you found this.Any back story.

Just curious, but would the soldier had sent it home sometime during his service?

I would think by 1943-1944 the soldier would've just switched his burlap cover for an issued Frogskin cover

One of the local Marines here in the 1st Division told me he never wore a camo cover the whole time he was in the war.

As far as switching the cover or using something late its no different than seeing former Raiders or Para Marines still wearing camo they had.The units were broken up and the men farmed out to other units.Th uniforms were like status symbols. Taking it one step further...in reality why is there so many Raider and Para Marine patched uniforms? Not all were sent home wounded or obtained a second uniform and sent there old one home.By wars end these units didnt exist.

For example Many Raiders and Para Marines ended up in the 5th Division but the uniform they wore for the ride homehad the Raider or Para Marine patch on it...not the 5th.The units didnt exist in 1945 but these men wore the patch of the units they were most proud of.Speaking to the Para Marine that I personally knew he said "who was going to tell me I couldn't wear my parachute patch"?

Schnicklfritz

The shell, cover and netting with wire look with out a doubt 100% legit. They are gorgeous to say the least!! The M1 shell and cover would be my holy grail of USMC collecting also.

... but that particular liner with the black hardware would be 100% incorrect IMHO for the time period that the helmet would have been in use with the Raiders. Not every Raider battalion made covers like this. I believe only the 1st or 2nd Raider Battalions used this type of cover with wire, and only one of those two. I'll have to look at my books to see for sure... feeble memory. The Marine Raider Battalions were disbanded in early '44 and the Marines were mostly sent to the newly formed Divisions. Most if not all of the period photos I have seen with this type of cover on a Raider M1 helmet have a low pressure cardboard helmet liner. I would suspect that the original liner had seen extremely hard use and was shot to H@^^ with someone putting another liner in it at some point. I doubt that the helmet saw service through out the whole war as the cover and parts would be much more worn down by years of service in the field. I would suspect that the helmet was kept as a memento of his time in the Raider Battalion and sent home with the Marine getting another helmet to replace this one.

None the less and not taking away from what you have, that is just one hell of a rare and desirable helmet.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

It could also be Korean War, I am pretty sure they used burlap covers also.

While burlap covers were used in Korean war, as far as I know, not with nets and wire like this.

That is a thing of beauty. If the original liner was a Hawley, that would explain the need for a replacement at some point. My 2 cents is if there is the slightest chance of doing any damage, leave it together. If you pull them apart and mess something up, and there is no name inside, you will be kicking yourself in the you-know-what for a very long time. If you a planning on keeping this in your collection, there is no rush to decide what to do with it. At least until you have thought it out for a while. Whatever you decide, good luck with it, and please keep us in the loop.

Mikie

wow, the reference photos match the helmet, Im convinced this is a original USMC RAIDER's helmet, how it came back intact like that is a once in a lifetime find, I doubt very many of these made it back to collectors 100% unmessed with and intact like that, congratulations on this excellent piece.

ArchangelDM

+1

It will never be the same once the liner is yanked and dicked with.

The question was asked before about where or how you found this.Any back story.

So sorry for the late reply Doyler

This came from Steve Klima and no back story unfortunately. I am guessing either the marine sadly died and a friend sent it home or like others have said it was sent back as a memento of his time as a raider.

Thanks for the kind comments

Dean

ArchangelDM

The shell, cover and netting with wire look with out a doubt 100% legit. They are gorgeous to say the least!! The M1 shell and cover would be my holy grail of USMC collecting also.

... but that particular liner with the black hardware would be 100% incorrect IMHO for the time period that the helmet would have been in use with the Raiders. Not every Raider battalion made covers like this. I believe only the 1st or 2nd Raider Battalions used this type of cover with wire, and only one of those two. I'll have to look at my books to see for sure... feeble memory. The Marine Raider Battalions were disbanded in early '44 and the Marines were mostly sent to the newly formed Divisions. Most if not all of the period photos I have seen with this type of cover on a Raider M1 helmet have a low pressure cardboard helmet liner. I would suspect that the original liner had seen extremely hard use and was shot to H@^^ with someone putting another liner in it at some point. I doubt that the helmet saw service through out the whole war as the cover and parts would be much more worn down by years of service in the field. I would suspect that the helmet was kept as a memento of his time in the Raider Battalion and sent home with the Marine getting another helmet to replace this one.

None the less and not taking away from what you have, that is just one hell of a rare and desirable helmet.

Thankyou for the input , neither regards to wear I think there are some possibilities.

The marine could have died in action and the helmet was sent back.

He was injured and sent back home early in the war with it.

He sent it back as a momento of his time In the unit.

As the photos show this helmet really is the exact same as period photos , it's actually quite amazing how spot on it all is.

I agree with the original liner being a fiber liner and being ruined in the heat. As this is stuck solid I don't know when it was added but it's not recent so I am guessing it still could be a period war replacement.

That would not be out of the question in my opinion.

Please post those pics when you can , super excited to see them

Thanks for your comments

Best

Dean

ArchangelDM

wow, the reference photos match the helmet, Im convinced this is a original USMC RAIDER's helmet, how it came back intact like that is a once in a lifetime find, I doubt very many of these made it back to collectors 100% unmessed with and intact like that, congratulations on this excellent piece.

Thanks Bolo

I agree totally with your comments :-)

Thanks man

ArchangelDM

Just to add the marine raider in this photo also has a low pressure liner and not a general fibre , notice how similar the camo is , even down to the wire camo band

post-8861-0-32958800-1493408044_thumb.jpg

Seems like it was possible for Marines to bring their helmets home if they were injured. I have a Guadalcanal WIA helmet and somehow he got his helmet home with him. Once again that's an amazing helmet!

-Steven

ArchangelDM

Seems like it was possible for Marines to bring their helmets home if they were injured. I have a Guadalcanal WIA helmet and somehow he got his helmet home with him. Once again that's an amazing helmet!

-Steven

Thanks again Steven

I'm still on the bench whenever I actually take the liner out or not. Who knows what's under there , I still believe it's a period replacement

ArchangelDM

Just as a reference on the camo colour I believe it's one colour with the rust bleed through on the burlap.

What's your thoughts

• 2 weeks later...