WW2 USMC burlap Raider Helmet

ArchangelDM

Raidercollector

Wow ,That is the F-ing Holy grail of Marine Camo's. Great pick up. Never saw one like your's. Thanks for showing it. That is a keeper. And you live across the pond having that helmet. Jealous.

Nick

Absolutely amazing. Looks like the real deal Raider helmet. I know that a lot of people are absolutely against this, but I would break the seal. If you can put a name to it, the veterans name lives on just a little longer. The Marine Raiders were America's first special operations unit. It would be great if you could have provenance to share with everyone.

USMC-RECON0321

Absolutely amazing. Looks like the real deal Raider helmet. I know that a lot of people are absolutely against this, but I would break the seal. If you can put a name to it, the veterans name lives on just a little longer. The Marine Raiders were America's first special operations unit. It would be great if you could have provenance to share with everyone.

Dean,

Beautiful helmet and no doubts about that one, you just can't create that crust, age and patina in the paint, net and wire. I also agree with RichRaider, That liner doesn't look to hard to gently pop up out of there to see if you can find an ID, but I definitely wouldn't mess with the cover at all, not even the material inside the shell.

The liner to me looks like a replacement anyway to be honest. It's very clean, including the headband and with what looks like a near mint Nape added. It's also a late war manufactured liner where I would think it originally would've had either a hawley or an early manufactured liner. By the time this liner was being manufactured, the USMC was using the camo covers.

Don't get me wrong, love this helmet!!

Troy

That helmet looks nearly identical to the one in the photo! That's quite an amazing lid, congrats! I do agree with what was said above, I would carefully take that liner out, it honestly does look like a replacement since the liner webbing, the sweatband, and the nape strap show different wear and color. Also it really looks like that cover is fuzed to the shell so pulling the liner would likely not disrupt it. Keep us updated!

-Steven

iron bender

Provenance would be great on this helmet. Pull the liner. Liner has zero use and doesn't fit the helmet. Name or number would be nice on this one.

ArchangelDM

Provenance would be great on this helmet. Pull the liner. Liner has zero use and doesn't fit the helmet. Name or number would be nice on this one.

It's very very stuck , as to it having zero use, while the consensus is it is not the helmets original issued liner who knows when it was issued and if the marine was issued another later on in the war. Anything is possible and as it's stuck it's not a recent addition by a collector.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Best

D.C.

ArchangelDM

This is what a combat used burlap helmet should look like. Awesome, and I mean awesome find!

Outstanding!

awesome m1 - top shelf

Wow ,That is the F-ing Holy grail of Marine Camo's. Great pick up. Never saw one like your's. Thanks for showing it. That is a keeper. And you live across the pond having that helmet. Jealous.

Nick

Ooooo thats a beauty.....i had the pleasure of seeing this one in person....crazy cool helmet....mike

Yup, that is one very cool helmet! Wow!

Congrats Dean!

Rick

Beauty of a helmet! :love:

Pat

Jeez! This lid is a beauty, one of the best i've ever seen!

Thankyou all so much for your kind comments. So nice for all of you to take the time to comment

Thanks guys

ArchangelDM

That helmet looks nearly identical to the one in the photo! That's quite an amazing lid, congrats! I do agree with what was said above, I would carefully take that liner out, it honestly does look like a replacement since the liner webbing, the sweatband, and the nape strap show different wear and color. Also it really looks like that cover is fuzed to the shell so pulling the liner would likely not disrupt it. Keep us updated!

-Steven

Hi Steven

Thanks for your kind words. I am giving this a lot of thought as it's stuck good. Maybe the marine added it later on as the last liner was destroyed. Will keep you updated mate

Best

Dean

ArchangelDM

Dean,

Beautiful helmet and no doubts about that one, you just can't create that crust, age and patina in the paint, net and wire. I also agree with RichRaider, That liner doesn't look to hard to gently pop up out of there to see if you can find an ID, but I definitely wouldn't mess with the cover at all, not even the material inside the shell.

The liner to me looks like a replacement anyway to be honest. It's very clean, including the headband and with what looks like a near mint Nape added. It's also a late war manufactured liner where I would think it originally would've had either a hawley or an early manufactured liner. By the time this liner was being manufactured, the USMC was using the camo covers.

Don't get me wrong, love this helmet!!

Troy

Thanks Troy

I'm still deciding what to do

Best

Dean

ArchangelDM

Such a hard decision as it's stuck good , believe me if it was just a little nudge I would have done it. I'll keep you updated mate

Best

And thanks

Dean

ArchangelDM

This is what a combat used burlap helmet should look like. Awesome, and I mean awesome find!

Thanks man that means a lot , thankyou for your comments

Best

Dean

Absolutely beautiful lid!!! I wouldn't touch it, I know the itch is there to see, but as stated before, it's only untouched once, AND why take the chance to accedently damage it. Leave it be.

Fritz

ArchangelDM

I've decided to try and carefully release the liner. I'm currently filming away and the helmet is back at home.

I will do a video of me actually releasing the liner from the helmet so If anything special is under there we can all see it happening.

I'm very excited to see what could be there , as the liner is stuck pretty good I'm guessing it's been on there a time and the marine got a reissue liner as his original was destroyed through use.

Can't see why else the liner would be stuck solid if it hadn't been on there a long time.

Interesting times.

Just curious, but would the soldier had sent it home sometime during his service?

I would think by 1943-1944 the soldier would've just switched his burlap cover for an issued Frogskin cover

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Just curious, but would the soldier had sent it home sometime during his service?

I would think by 1943-1944 the soldier would've just switched his burlap cover for an issued Frogskin cover

Technically he's a marine, not a soldier.

Perhaps it was a way of differentiating himself, using camouflage to stand out :lol: and a sense of pride?