WW2 USMC burlap Raider Helmet

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

Well I've waited ages and ages to post this and I feel the time is right. This has been one of my holy grails for quite a time ! And finally it's in my collection

Enjoy the pics

Best

D.C

post-8861-0-12341500-1492802588_thumb.jpg

post-8861-0-18016200-1492802727_thumb.jpg

Jumpin Jack

Beautiful helmet! I can readily understand why you are so excited. When I was in the 325th, we used burlap as a foundation for our camouflage. Thank you for showing yours. Jack

ArchangelDM

Ok so to start

The whole rig is fuzed together , from the hand set wire band to the net , it's all one piece now. The straps retain the sweat and camo and the liner is stuck solid !

Now I can try and remove and I can bet it has a name and who knows what else under there. But do I try and remove or not ?

This is a very very difficult discussion so will ask you guys what you think. Below are raider helmets in use and an excellent website on the Usmc raiders , the helmet matched perfectly to what was commmon for them

ArchangelDM

Beautiful helmet! I can readily understand why you are so excited. When I was in the 325th, we used burlap as a foundation for our camouflage. Thank you for showing yours. Jack

Remarkable indeed! Have to ask, is it ID'd?

That is one killer lid. Thank you for posting!

Thankyou guys

This cost me an arm and a leg but then again when do these ever come up for sale. It may have a name , the liner is pretty stuck solid.

Thanks for all your kind comments

D.C

Just one guy's opinion, but there is NO way I would consider taking that thing apart - name or not. It is a beautiful untouched example only once. Would it be cool to be able to attribute it? Yes, but right now it represents every Raider, which is also pretty cool.

ArchangelDM

Just one guy's opinion, but there is NO way I would consider taking that thing apart - name or not. It is a beautiful untouched example only once. Would it be cool to be able to attribute it? Yes, but right now it represents every Raider, which is also pretty cool.

Thanks blacksmith

That's a very true comment. It would only ever be untouched once

ArchangelDM

Hands down one of the nicest camouflage helmets I have ever seen. Absolutely beautiful. Congrats on your holy grail.

J

Justin that means a lot man

Thankyou

ArchangelDM

That is really awesome. I'm really surprised by how similar it looks to period photos of those Raiders.

Nearly identical ! To the wire

I'm so happy with it