1944 "plastic" canteen

prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter

First I hope this is the correct board, but..

Found this canteen in my FILs duffle bag, the cover while well worn is intact just some stains and is also dated 1944 (can't remember the mfg off the top of my head). When I first pulled it out I had assumed that the bottle had been replaced since it was plastic. A bit of looking did show the maker (AMUS) and year (1944).

I have done some research and found mixed results of "pretty common" to "very uncommon" so I thought I would ask here. Any history, value (won't be selling but it's always nice to know value), etc. Also I have heard folks talking about being marked "CI" where would that marking be if it was there. It is intact with the cork in the cap. These pics are as it was found. The cup is also marked 1944.

Thanks in advance for any info.

post-167837-0-41483200-1492608729.jpg

post-167837-0-28942100-1492608730.jpg

post-167837-0-44246100-1492608731.jpg

Rakkasan187

This is known as an Ethocel type WW2 era canteen. These are not too common and are desirable. They vary in price from as low as $45 to as high as $125 or more...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/186111-1943-ethocel/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/184114-1943-dated-ethocel-canteen/

Leigh

prestoncohunter

Thank you for the info and links. I must say this site is awesome with how members chime in and help with info. Have been doing a lot of reading to try and keep from asking to many dumb questions that true collectors take for granted.

About all the thing my FIL had were well used with the exception of several patches that either he or his brothers acquired and the head cover for his entrenching tool looks brand new, but the tool it's self was well used, but we think that it was used more in his flower beds than during his service.

Rakkasan187

Thank you for the info and links. I must say this site is awesome with how members chime in and help with info. Have been doing a lot of reading to try and keep from asking to many dumb questions that true collectors take for granted.

About all the thing my FIL had were well used with the exception of several patches that either he or his brothers acquired and the head cover for his entrenching tool looks brand new, but the tool it's self was well used, but we think that it was used more in his flower beds than during his service.

Don't ever feel you have dumb questions. We have all learned by asking questions, and even if you think it dumb it isn't.

This forum is full of some of the greatest and most knowledgeable individuals I have the privilege of corresponding with.

Welcome to the forum and ask as many questions as you want. Some seek information because they are not dedicated collectors, some are museum professionals like myself who inquire about artifacts not familiar with, other folks are trying to retrace their relatives military history, so there is a wide range of individuals who search and use this forum...

Leigh

There is more information specific to these in the canteen section of the "Craig Pickrell Field & Personal Gear" section.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/1342-water-carriers-ref/ You may also simply search for "ethocel".

The "IC" marking you mentioned stood for "Inspected & Condemned" and would have been impressed over the manufacturer name on the bottom when the canteen was taken out of service. Because of the instability of this early plastic, the canteen was deemed undesirable by troops due to it imparting a bad taste to the water.

They are uncommon and they are desirable to some collectors.

Rakassan187 is correct: never hesitate to ask questions here. The members of this board represent an inexhaustible reservoir of information on nearly anything regarding militaria.

prestoncohunter

Thanks for the info and comments. Ronny67, not really sure what the stain is we know he wasn't injured but that doesn't mean you aren't correct.