Etiquette question

nightfighter

nightfighter

Not being a collector, I have a question regarding normal etiquette and protocol in attempting to acquire a family member's military dog tags, medals etc. I am aware that two members were in possession of my grandfather's dog tags, per their posts in 2015. Honestly, I stumbled upon the images during a Google search of my grandfather on the 100th anniversary of America entering the war. I have reached out to them and am awaiting, hopefully, their responses. My family wishes to respect their collecting passion, but just don't know what are possible outcomes. Soldier is James M Reiley, Capt. WW1.

Thank you for any insight,

Ross Reiley

vintageproductions

Because you have a low post count, you can't use the pm function. Once you get the said amount then it is easy to contact members via private messages.

stealthytyler

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking to buy back those tags. After all, it is your grandfathers. Just be prepared for the collector to want to keep them. But you never know. Good luck!

nightfighter

Thank you for the response.

I believe I had one PM sent and read today. The other member must have a full inbox, as I get a red box telling me he cannot receive.....I will abstain from naming them here, if only to grease the rails, should we get to a discussion.

Courtesy is the key...there is no reason to publicly post the members names and I would counsel you to keep it to private messages.The members have done nothing wrong and are not required to respond if they do not desire.The members may go through me if they're not interested in contact directly. Good luck to all.

nightfighter

Update; Both members have contacted me with the information that they both have traded the items but will pass along my request and contact info to the collectors they traded the items to. Will update if they choose to contact me.

nightfighter

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking to buy back those tags. After all, it is your grandfathers. Just be prepared for the collector to want to keep them. But you never know. Good luck!

I have heard back from one party representing the current owner of one of the tags. Both have been traded to other collectors. The current owner forwarded an asking price of 500.00 for one tag, which I will diplomatically call an I don't want to sell price......

• 3 weeks later...
Battling Bastard

I know 500 is a lot of money but maybe if you ask some member of your family to gather that amount (family donations) you could get your GF dog tag and treasure it for generations to come.

I don't know a lot about WWI dog tags but $500 seems WAY too high for an average pair of dog tags. I just did a quick search on e-bay and this is over 10 times the average price. It is this type of price gouging that puts collectors in a bad light. I can see wanting to recoup your investment and even cover the time spent shipping to the family but this seems far and above even that amount of money.

...Kat