Seriously?

rldarmstr

I have been collecting US bayonets and bolos for quite a while and I fell I have a reasonable knowledge of values. This bolo, in my opinion, is a bit over the top.

No offense to the seller intended. It's his item and he can ask anything he wants for it. We (he and I) definitely differ on values though.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/gun-parts-accessories/knives-military-u-s-/u-s-model-1904-hospital-corpsman-s-knife-excellent-condition.cfm?gun_id=100827404

Yessir, we talk about value as a function of asking price versus sold price on the forum routinely. Sellers / owners like to believe their holdings are the top mark, and buyers want to buy it for the bottom. Classic free-market model, that's old as the ages. Then you throw in the convenience and bid-to-win mentality of an auction, and prices get ludicrous. In the end, as the addage goes, an item is worth what someone will pay. I prefer to do the legwork and find items myself, versus having them spoon-fed to me. I guess I more enjoy the 'finding' than 'having' part of the process. To each their own I guess.

You can always ask. What I dislike about this practice is that people who have a same or similar item immediately believe that this is what their knife is worth.

+1.

I hear it constantly at shows, "these are online for twice that!"

Twice what? Asking price? Sold price? Happy-time price?

I get it, most sellers want the max they can get for an item. Some however value placement, meaning that it going to a fellow collector means something. They know they could get more by putting it on eBay, but appreciate it going to a custodian. Less likely to get cannibalized / parted out that way.

You can always ask. What I dislike about this practice is that people who have a same or similar item immediately believe that this is what their knife is worth.

+2

Recently saw a 1918 LF&C knuckle knife with scabbard for sale.Was super nice...but not $1400 nice.Seller telling everyone thats the prices being paid.

Yeah, best to move on at that point, but I'm tempted to ask "where?".

Give me one example where somebody paid $1400 for one of these.

:)

+2

Recently saw a 1918 LF&C knuckle knife with scabbard for sale.Was super nice...but not $1400 nice.Seller telling everyone thats the prices being paid.

Wonder how much wiggle room they have? Here's the highest price I could find through worthpoint for one of these knives and it too seems to be in great condition:

bolo.jpeg

Two different knives but the Marine one brought good money as there are lots out there.Condition. is great on it...I Will give it that and the Clyde mark is visible.

I swear the USMC Bolo is cut down/ground, or something. It does not look full size to me. Might be just the angle. The M1904 is beautiful, but not $1100 beautiful. Lately most items are through the roof on ebay. Have also seen a large influx of M1 Bayonet grips, of all colors at ever increasing prices. SKIP

Yeah, best to move on at that point, but I'm tempted to ask "where?".

Give me one example where somebody paid $1400 for one of these.

:)

I'm a sword guy, and I just went through the entire site on which the bolo at the top of this thread was listed. It's pricing was right in line with the other items. I would just have to ask whether a single sword has ever been sold from that site at anything like the asking price. I have never seen such ludicrous over pricing. I was also surprised at the number of mis-identified and inaccurately described items. I was particularly surprised to see a listing by a rather well-known dealer describing the "21-inch original length blade" on a regulation sword which was only issued with a 25" blade. It had obviously been cut down and re-pointed, and not even a good job at that. Sometimes it's discouraging.

The best thing is to watch a variety of items listed on ebay, so that over a period of time you develop a fairly good grasp of what items sell for. I just saw on ebay some nice M3s with very decent prices. Also saw a few others, though very nice, were asking way out of line prices, and not even with an M6 scabbard, just a great M8. SKIP

I swear the USMC Bolo is cut down/ground, or something. It does not look full size to me. Might be just the angle. The M1904 is beautiful, but not $1100 beautiful. Lately most items are through the roof on ebay. Have also seen a large influx of M1 Bayonet grips, of all colors at ever increasing prices. SKIP

Skip

Maybe a new trend.People will start stripping grips off bayonets and selling separately like they stripped liners and sold sweatpants and chin straps.

Charlie Flick

The seller, Joe Salter, is a respected gun dealer who imports a fair amount of his stuff from Canada. He enjoys a well deserved reputation as a straight guy. Never met him but I have observed his website ( www.JoeSalter.com ) over the years, know people who have bought from him and have never heard a bad word about him. (And no one here has said anything negative either, just pointing out that this guy has been around a long time with a solid track record.) However, I am not a fan of the Guns International site for reasons not important here.

The price seems high to me as well, but then I can't remember seeing one of those knives in that condition in a very long time, maybe never. Top condition always brings top prices.

Regards,

Charlie

The seller, Joe Salter, is a respected gun dealer who imports a fair amount of his stuff from Canada. He enjoys a well deserved reputation as a straight guy. Never met him but I have observed his website ( www.JoeSalter.com ) over the years, know people who have bought from him and have never heard a bad word about him. (And no one here has said anything negative either, just pointing out that this guy has been around a long time with a solid track record.) However, I am not a fan of the Guns International site for reasons not important here.

The price seems high to me as well, but then I can't remember seeing one of those knives in that condition in a very long time, maybe never. Top condition always brings top prices.

Regards,

Charlie

I know Joe personally and as well as being a customer of his. He is one of the most honest men I have ever met. A true gentleman in all respects. I would not hesitate to do business with him on anything that he sells that I have interest in.

Tony-in-NH

Sgt. BARney

Maybe it's a favorite piece in his own collection, but he figures if he can get that kind of money for it, then he's willing to part with it. I've seen that at shows before.

I agree with the Charlie, Tony and GB... maybe he listed after he returned from the Baltimore Show!... :) I think it is high IMHO but that doesn't buy anyone a cup of coffee, however, a long the lines of some of the other comments in the thread, I've heard of some outrageous prices being paid for grips, etc. and I'm sure someone who doesn't want to shop for a nice bolo will anti up for it some day. He has been doing this a long time.