RIP Bayonetman

Frank Trzaska

I am absolutely dumfounded and saddened by this post. I have been busy working on a few things and I have not had time to look at the forum in detail. Gary was a great "ether" friend, while we had never met, we have been sharing information and corresponding for well over a decade. While I have many of "other" types of items of his, I always wanted to ask him to sell me one of his favorite bayonets or knives so I could use it as keep sake. Unfortunately as with my other close friends, I have a hard time asking them for an autograph let alone something personal. I wondered why he didn't respond a few weeks ago when I sent him a picture of two consecutively numbered SA M1905 bright blade bayonets in almost mint condition. I was waiting for his clever reply but now I understand why. A tremendous source and vault of knowledge in this field has past, Gary thanks for the time, and humble patience you afforded me in my quest for knowledge. Rest in peace my friend. Curt

What a huge loss to his family & friends, as well as to our collecting community. Gary was always willing to help everyone, from the beginner to the advanced collector. Truly a nice guy. You will be sorely missed, Gary! Vaya con Dios!

Here is a photo of Gary C., Gary B., and furbabies Skipper, Dakotakat and Donnie from Christmas 2006, for those who never met him.

post-70-0-06339000-1492650949.jpg

And here is a photo of his bayonet collection's Honor Roll.

post-70-0-82400200-1492651363_thumb.jpg

citizensteely

It is with a heavy heart that I learned of Gary's passing and the shock has yet to wear off. As an utter and complete beginner to the world of edged weapons and militaria in general, I wrote to Gary with what were likely some of the most laughable and basic questions he could've imagined. However, he responded with great patience and kindness, all the while sharing his immense knowledge in an approachable way, a trait that continued over the course of what became a correspondence. Over the year and half that I had the privilege of knowing him, Gary proved himself to be what you all know him as: the very definition of a gentleman and a consummate scholar. He applied rigorous standards to his work and a guiding and protective wing to those only starting out on their journey, all while still being a voice of authority to those seeking more advanced knowledge. This encyclopedic knowledge was remarkable and his contribution to the field will be forever remembered. Yet I will remember him most for his welcoming friendship, his kindness, his dry humor, his love of Civil War songs, and his hospitality. I had the great honor of meeting him last October and getting a tour of his impressive collection and then sharing a meal. He was a great man and a wonderful friend in even the brief time that I had the honor of knowing him and I will miss him very much. Godspeed, Gary. We have lost a beacon of knowledge and kindness and your absence will be missed. Rest in peace, my friend.

I am truly sorry that this man has gone, RIP Gary. He was a generous man. I purchased a copy of his Bayonets Points and he included a dvd of Mk 2 knives at no extra cost. Very unexpected.

Gary was a good man and a premier bottomless pit of knowledge. I'm deeply saddened to hear of his passing. Thank you for all you freely gave to us. You will be sorely missed. Rest in Peace. Condolences to Gary's family.

• 3 weeks later...

As a very latecomer to collecting, his website was a godsend for helping me educate myself.

His efforts will live longer than all of us...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Time has not demimished my sorrow at the passing of Gary Cunningham. I am standing on his shoulders as I use his works as a launching platform for my studies of the US bayonets. Who will carry on his legacy? And those before him?

I have my notes and best guesses on many odd or new M1905 and M1 variations, with no where to go to varify or compare....

Time has not demimished my sorrow at the passing of Gary Cunningham. I am standing on his shoulders as I use his works as a launching platform for my studies of the US bayonets. Who will carry on his legacy? And those before him?

I have my notes and best guesses on many odd or new M1905 and M1 variations, with no where to go to varify or compare....

Fortunately a lot of Garys work is captured in his books (now apparently expensive collectibles themselves) and his bayonet points articles over on Franks site. He is missed and I too wonder if anyone can or will fill his shoes