WW2 USN Helmet

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

The outside doesn't look like its the original paint to me. looks like its got several layers. 

Yep, it has several layers of paint, including blue, a glossy green etc. I'm sure the original finish is under there somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just a bit confused. If he was in the armed guard, how could he have been on the USS Thorn? Did some parts of the armed guard serve on destroyers and battleships?

The information about his service comes from multiple different sources. He could have had multiple assignments during his naval service, beginning with the armed guard and transferring to the destroyers. I don't know why it happened but you may want to research the individual ships named. Wikipedia & Navsource have pretty good information about individual ships. Good luck.

Tom

Screamingeagles101

And from this page: https://www.armed-guard.com/about-ag.html

"Late in the war, many experienced Armed Guard sailors were reassigned from duty aboard merchant vessels to serve as gunners on warships of the U.S. fleet, where their training and experience made them particularly valuable."

Tom

You have great research skills my friend, I really appreciate all the great info you found. Thank you to everyone who found something on him! Very happy to have the helmet in my collection!!

Screamingeagles101

I'm sorry about not doing my own research. I am a college student and Finals are coming up. That along with a part time job and being a physique builder gives me about 0 time to do anything else. I'm writing this from work haha

Screamingeagles101

Found some really cool pics of him.

I also found out the "J" stands for Jim.

Please note, in the first photo, you will see near his neck "1944"

this was from the USS Thorn.

Also, I love the photo with "sticker" there are a bunch of pics of "sticker" with the men.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

stealthytyler

Great photos. Did you get hehelmet from eBay or were you the one that listed it for sale? It ended with no bids a few weeks ago.

Screamingeagles101

Found some really cool pics of him.

Please note, in the first photo, you will see near his neck "1944"

this was from the USS Thorn.

Also, I love the photo with "sticker" there are a bunch of pics of "sticker" with the men.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love seeing posts like this where the forum gets together to gather information. Awesome post Screamingeagles101. I saw this on ebay as well, I wish I would have looked into it more. Good job!!! You made a killer find.

Screamingeagles101

Great photos. Did you get hehelmet from eBay or were you the one that listed it for sale? It ended with no bids a few weeks ago.

Yes, this was the one on eBay, I made the seller an offer after the auction was over.

Screamingeagles101

I love seeing posts like this where the forum gets together to gather information.  Awesome post Screamingeagles101.  I saw this on ebay as well, I wish I would have looked into it more.  Good job!!!  You made a killer find.   

Thank you, I'm very happy to have it in my collection.

ParanormalTrooper

Great looking lid, I love the matching FB with the rayon liner!

The stencils add a nice touch.

Great find.

Screamingeagles101

Great looking lid, I love the matching FB with the rayon liner!

The stencils add a nice touch.

Great find.

Thanks man, this is my first rayon SC liner

• 3 years later...

I was doing a google search on my Uncle Jim Mangiafico and I came upon this thread.  Its amazing. I hope you all will get this reply since I am finding it several years later. You found an amazing  amount on my uncle including photos I have never seen.  I am wondering if the helmets are still available? I would love to let you know more about my uncle. I can probably answer some of the questions that came up.  

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
14 hours ago, Tony D said:

I was doing a google search on my Uncle Jim Mangiafico and I came upon this thread.  Its amazing. I hope you all will get this reply since I am finding it several years later. You found an amazing  amount on my uncle including photos I have never seen.  I am wondering if the helmets are still available? I would love to let you know more about my uncle. I can probably answer some of the questions that came up.  

Unfortunately Dominick Consolazio aka "Screamingeagles101 was caught painting fake markings on helmets to embellish them in order to make more money selling them and was banned. If you really want to try and get the helmet back I believe this is his instagram although I would be wary of dealing with him given his dishonest track record. https://www.instagram.com/dom_conzz/?hl=en

Before Dom was banned he had listed this helmet for sale here on the forum. I actually considered buying it but never pulled the trigger. I can't recall if it was actually sold or not but maybe another member here bought it from him before his ban?

The Rooster

All the stencils are done with what looks like spray paint. I've never seen Matte black spray paint on a lid stencil.

Seems odd? That Matte Black on the outside seems very fresh too.

I could understand it on the inside the liner but its on the outside and it looks fresh.

In WW2 they didnt have cans of different colored spray paint and did not have canned spay paint at all.

He could have gotten the mans info off of fold 3 and did his "Magic" on it.

I mean that guy is a solid known identified banned syhster and faker of helmets.

Given Doms habits... It makes me wonder???

On 4/18/2017 at 7:14 PM, Screamingeagles101 said:

I'm sorry about not doing my own research. I am a college student and Finals are coming up. That along with a part time job and being a physique builder gives me about 0 time to do anything else. I'm writing this from work haha

On 7/31/2020 at 10:14 AM, dmar836 said:

Officer? I assume that was post war or family lore?

this was my uncle he was not an officer, but a gunners mate, I recall him being a 3rd class on his uniform that was at my grandmothers house

manayunkman

Was the helmet and story put together?

And if the helmet is good is it 1946 painted?

Quite the interesting story.

1966ww2collector

Hello all. I am the current caretaker of this helmet. If I recall correctly, Dom bought this helmet off of eBay originally. I can not say for certain but I believe I was "watching" it when it was being auctioned. Dom tried selling the helmet here for more than it was worth. He eventually put it on eBay where I picked it up for a very reasonable price. Although Dom did some unethical modifications to several helmets, I do not believe that this one was messed with. If you look at the pictures of this helmet you will notice that it almost looks like a blue / green camo. It is blue but the green looking part is aged varnish or some other clear-coat that was likely applied to preserve the helmet. Some of the stenciling is under that coat. So it has been there a long time. The rust patterns and wear are also consistent between the liner and helmet. In addition to the helmet, the sailor was an average vet with an average service record. That is not to take away from his sacrifices. He is a hero in my book. He just doesn't have a flashy record that would drive a helmet's value high and warrant faking his name.

So, for what it is worth, I am confident that this is Magniafico's helmet and liner. I am in contact with his nephew who brought this thread back up. I will be sharing with him his uncle's files that I pulled from the National Archives.

Someone was asking whether this would be a post war helmet or not. Based on the layers of ID and colors, I think he had this helmet for quite a while during his service. We may never know. Just my best guess.

Also, I haven't looked at the helmet in some time. I don't know if it is in the thread but there is a nickname that is hard to see under his name on the liner. It reads "Brownie".

Doug

• 1 year later...

Hi Screamingeagles1,

I can across your post when I was doing some research on my grandfather V. Jim Mangiafico.  I know this is an old post but if you still have the helmet I would love to buy it from you.  I remember by grandpa used to have it hanging up in the basement when he lived in Hawthorne.  My grandpa sure told me some stories about his service in WWII.  Hopefully this message will reach you.

Thank You

Kris Mangiafico