WW2 USN Helmet

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

Hello, I have this WW2 USN Helmet. It's a original matching set. It's named on the shell and liner. It's also has "USN" on the side along with some numbers on it. If anyone can tell me what these numbers mean or can find some info on the soldier, it would be greatly appreciated!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screamingeagles101

The full name is hard to read

To me, it looks like

"V.J. Manglaf_ _ _

Could be Manglafico or Manglaflco or Manglafica

Here are some pics of the full name:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think it is "V. J. Mangiafico". Not many first names start with "V". Perhaps it is Vincent J. Mangiafico. Here is a Vincent J. Mangiafico who served aboard the destroyers U.S.S. Wren and U.S.S. Thorn in 1946:

post-2064-0-22899700-1492448570_thumb.jpg

Tom

Screamingeagles101

...and it has a nice early WW2 St. Clair liner with it. Great find.

Tom

That is definitely him. The ID number matches up.

Thank you so much!!!!

Anyway more info can be found out?

Like when he enlisted?, rank, etc.

Thanks again!!

A bit more... https://www.armed-guard.com/mmmm.html

Looks like he previously was assigned to the Naval Armed Guard - gunner's assigned to man the defensive weapons mounted on some merchant ships.

post-2064-0-53052300-1492454585.jpg

He had also served as the Chief of the Hawthorne, NJ Police Department. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/GPO-CRECB-1990-pt3/pdf/GPO-CRECB-1990-pt3-2-3.pdf

(see p. 3427 of this excerpt from the Congressional Record).

Tom

Screamingeagles101

A bit more... https://www.armed-guard.com/mmmm.html

Looks like he previously was assigned to the Naval Armed Guard - gunner's assigned to man the defensive weapons mounted on some merchant ships.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Mangiafico 2.jpg

He had also served as the Chief of the Hawthorne, NJ Police Department. https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/GPO-CRECB-1990-pt3/pdf/GPO-CRECB-1990-pt3-2-3.pdf

(see p. 3427 of this excerpt from the Congressional Record).

Tom

Thanks a lot man, your finding a lot of great info.

So far it appears he served in the PTO.

I was able to find that one of the ships he was on went to Leyte gulf

I'm curious to know when he enlisted and what he did earlier on (41-43)

Thanks again for the great info!

Here's his obit:

Mr Vincent Mangiafico, 82 of Florida
Vincent Mangiafico, ex-police chief
Record, The (Hackensack, NJ) — Sunday, August 31, 2008
HAWTHORNE Vincent Mangiafico, former Hawthorne police chief, has died of natural causes. He was 82.

Mr. Mangiafico died Wednesday at the Port St. Lucie Nursing and Restorative Care Center in Florida where his second wife of 13 years, Marion, said he had his favorite meal that day.

"Mussels marinara and shrimp scampi," Marion Mangiafico, 72, said in a telephone interview from Port St. Lucie. "He was fine."

A dedicated Hawthorne resident for 50 years, Mr. Mangiafico served as chief of police and president of the Boys and Girls Club for 20 years. He retired as police chief in 1990 after 37 years on the force. He relocated to Port St. Lucie shortly after his second marriage in 1995.

He also served as a Navy officer in World War II aboard the USS Thorn until a land explosion left him with permanent back injuries.

His son, Paul Mangiafico, knew his father to be "very civic-minded where he always left lots of room for people to excel and improve the community."

In 1970, Mr. Mangiafico extended his community service to the Boys Club of Hawthorne, now known as the Boys and Girls Club, to help raise funds for a new building.

"He wasn't happy with the Boys Club building," Paul Mangiafico said by telephone from Port St. Lucie. Paul Mangiafico later joined his father in his work with the Boys Club and became the club's director.

Along with a group of Hawthorne residents, Mr. Mangiafico raised $250,000 for a building to be erected on land donated by the city. The construction took two years, and the building still stands on Maitland Avenue.

Mr. Mangiafico was also active in community service groups, including the Optimist Club, Columbus Circle and thedisabled war veterans group.

"He was involved in every way in the community," his wife said. "He was very well-liked."

Mr. Mangiafico suffered a stroke in 1999, which left his right side paralyzed and he was unable to speak. But despite his debilitating condition, his wife said, he still managed to sing his favorite songs and laugh.

"They adored him at the nursing home," she said. "He was very easy to be around."

Mr. Mangiafico is survived by his wife of Port St. Lucie, daughters, Jamie Lynn Detrick of Effort, Pa., Susan Mangiafico of Scranton, Pa., his son of Port St. Lucie, Fla., six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

No services will be held. The family plans a private cremation.

E-mail: [email protected]

Screamingeagles101

Here's his obit:

Mr Vincent Mangiafico, 82 of Florida

Vincent Mangiafico, ex-police chief

Record, The (Hackensack, NJ) — Sunday, August 31, 2008HAWTHORNE Vincent Mangiafico, former Hawthorne police chief, has died of natural causes. He was 82. 

Mr. Mangiafico died Wednesday at the Port St. Lucie Nursing and Restorative Care Center in Florida where his second wife of 13 years, Marion, said he had his favorite meal that day. 

"Mussels marinara and shrimp scampi," Marion Mangiafico, 72, said in a telephone interview from Port St. Lucie. "He was fine." 

A dedicated Hawthorne resident for 50 years, Mr. Mangiafico served as chief of police and president of the Boys and Girls Club for 20 years. He retired as police chief in 1990 after 37 years on the force. He relocated to Port St. Lucie shortly after his second marriage in 1995. 

He also served as a Navy officer in World War II aboard the USS Thorn until a land explosion left him with permanent back injuries. 

His son, Paul Mangiafico, knew his father to be "very civic-minded where he always left lots of room for people to excel and improve the community." 

In 1970, Mr. Mangiafico extended his community service to the Boys Club of Hawthorne, now known as the Boys and Girls Club, to help raise funds for a new building. 

"He wasn't happy with the Boys Club building," Paul Mangiafico said by telephone from Port St. Lucie. Paul Mangiafico later joined his father in his work with the Boys Club and became the club's director. 

Along with a group of Hawthorne residents, Mr. Mangiafico raised $250,000 for a building to be erected on land donated by the city. The construction took two years, and the building still stands on Maitland Avenue. 

Mr. Mangiafico was also active in community service groups, including the Optimist Club, Columbus Circle and thedisabled war veterans group. 

"He was involved in every way in the community," his wife said. "He was very well-liked." 

Mr. Mangiafico suffered a stroke in 1999, which left his right side paralyzed and he was unable to speak. But despite his debilitating condition, his wife said, he still managed to sing his favorite songs and laugh. 

"They adored him at the nursing home," she said. "He was very easy to be around." 

Mr. Mangiafico is survived by his wife of Port St. Lucie, daughters, Jamie Lynn Detrick of Effort, Pa., Susan Mangiafico of Scranton, Pa., his son of Port St. Lucie, Fla., six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. 

No services will be held. The family plans a private cremation. 

E-mail: [email protected]

Absolutely Fantastic!!

Thank you so much!

"Land explosion" what would a Naval officer be doing on land in combat? Is there a way to find what island it happened on?

Thanks again!

Screamingeagles101

I just did some research on the USS Thorn. It saw an unbelievable amount of action all over the Pacific. It was hit 12 times in its combat life

It sunk several ships, supported beach landings, and shot down several planes

Screamingeagles101

He enlisted Sept. 4, 1944 and served in the Armed Guard until some time in 1945.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Mangiafico 3.jpg

Tom

I'm just a bit confused. If he was in the armed guard, how could he have been on the USS Thorn? Did some parts of the armed guard serve on destroyers and battleships?

I'm just a bit confused. If he was in the armed guard, how could he have been on the USS Thorn? Did some parts of the armed guard serve on destroyers and battleships?

Why not do a bit of googling on your own? Seems like folks are doing a lot of your research for you. This information is very easily accessible out there (says the guy who wrote a book about the Armed Guard who started with zero knowledge of them and learned a ton via the internet...)

Hunter Whittaker

Why not do a bit of googling on your own? Seems like folks are doing a lot of your research for you. This information is very easily accessible out there (says the guy who wrote a book about the Armed Guard who started with zero knowledge of them and learned a ton via the internet...)

Not everyone knows where to look to find specific info. Usually when I ask for help finding more info on something I've done all the research I could on it without help. If people are willing to help by all means let them it helps bring out the history in something when everyone works together researching an item.

Hunter Whittaker

Not everyone knows where to look to find specific info. Usually when I ask for help finding more info on something I've done all the research I could on it without help. If people are willing to help by all means let them it helps bring out the history in something when everyone works together researching an item.

Screamingeagles101

Some guys have access to sources i do not. Just trying to find as much out as I can. So far you guys gave me a great amount of info.

Thank you!

No to sound snarky, but how are they going to learn? I totally subscribe to the notion of community / providing assistance on the forum, but teaching folks to 'fish on their own' is a key component to strengthening the collective.

Vincent James Mangiafico

Also Known As: "Jim"

Birthdate: August 12, 1926 (82)

Birthplace: Johnstown, Cambria, Pennsylvania, United States

Death: Died August 27, 2008 in Port St Lucie, St Lucie, Florida, United States

Immediate Family: Son of Paul Mangiafico and Josephine Scalora

Husband of <private> Holowczak and Josephine Marie Galante

Father of <private> Mangiafico; <private> Mangiafico and <private> Mangiafico

Brother of Jessie Angentieri; Anthony Mangiafico and <private> De Prima (Mangiafico)

Managed by: Salena Chereese Fehnel

Last Updated: November 30, 2014

Screamingeagles101

Some quick Googling:

Thank you, it's nice to have a face to a name.

Screamingeagles101

looks like somebody put a glossy clear coat over the original paint?

It does look a bit glossy. Maybe someone put a shellac over it? Could just be the type of paint they used also