New Find Daguerreotype from old collection. Union or Confederate Image ?

johnny12550

I just got this image today from an old time collection, but I don't know if it is an early war Union militia image or a Confederate image. Can anyone tell based on the uniform and equipment/ Thanks, John

post-129350-0-47898800-1492372637_thumb.jpg

I would guess a militia unit, going by dark cuffs and stripe on trousers (unless the 'stripe' is a shadow of his musket). He's also pretty well equipped. I see you are in NY state. If the image was obtained locally, a NY militia would be a good guess. A lot of them wore gray uniforms. Did you pop the image out and look behind it? Sometimes there'll be a slip of paper or something in the case to identify it, or maybe something scratched into the back of the image. Can't tell what he's holding in his right hand - a sword or long bayonet? Something looks to be going off to the right from his hand, as well. There may be more visible if you take it out of the brass oval facing and look closely with a magnifying glass. At any rate, it's a nice image. Good luck! Chris

johnny12550

This is the backside. I have bought a few pieces from this collection and most are NY Civil War items. I thought it would be an early CW militia image, but did not know if it could be confederate. I was not basing my decision on the case as some may be swapped out over the years

post-129350-0-71004400-1492384796_thumb.jpg