Japanese Dog Tag Found in Guam Cave

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

This Japanese dog tag was found by a Marine inside a cave on Com Mar Hill, Guam in 1948. The Marine was later sent to Korea and participated in the Battle of Chosen Reservoir with 4.2 Mortar Company, 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division.

post-131595-0-24211200-1492305868_thumb.jpg

post-131595-0-99245200-1492305866_thumb.jpg

That is really nice...must have been really cool to be able to explore the island back in that time so soon after the battles....mike

A very unusual tag, but very nice. I don't believe I have seen a named sub unit like that. Usually they just have the numbered company, etc. It would be very interesting to know this tag's journey and how it ended up on Guam. The unit designation of 鏡6804 was for the 104th Infantry Regiment within the 13th Division. This division was in central China during the war, located in the area of Changsha, China. I wonder if there is a further unit identifier on the reverse of the tag? Maybe recycled tag due to a transfer.

Tom

stealthytyler

A very unusual tag, but very nice. I don't believe I have seen a named sub unit like that. Usually they just have the numbered company, etc. It would be very interesting to know this tag's journey and how it ended up on Guam. The unit designation of 鏡6804 was for the 104th Infantry Regiment within the 13th Division. This division was in central China during the war, located in the area of Changsha, China. I wonder if there is a further unit identifier on the reverse of the tag? Maybe recycled tag due to a transfer.

Tom

The tag is glued onto the paper so I am not sure what is on the back. I am not removing it either. This tag is being listed on ebay this evening.

muddyboots

Great tag and its was probably hard to find as the 13 Division was to go to Guam but instead sent 300 of there men in advance by the end of 1943. They were to go to help hold off the U.S. invasion that was expected.

• 9 months later...