John Cooper

1930s Pilots Wing

Here is yet another recent pickup. A 30s style brass wing with silver plate in a Orber pattern or at least similar to those attributed to Orber.

Enjoy

1930pilotbe1.jpg

Always looking for Wings & Named Air Medals!

Motto: To Collect, Preserve, and Remember!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

John,

I am very happy for you to get this example, it has just the right amount of wear. To me, this design, though very rigid in some aspects, is reminiscent of WWI wings. How do these compare in thinness to the Amcraft wings of this period? Which as you know are so thin, they can easily be bent by hand. These look fairly hefty.

They are similar to the Amcraft wings just slightly thicker in my opinion. I have a great photo to go with this of an AAF officer with his Sam Browne belt... very cool.

I know there are several or similar wings and if you have one please post it here. I would like to compare and contrast the slight differences in both the wing pattern and the reverse of the wing.

John

I know there are several or similar wings and if you have one please post it here. I would like to compare and contrast the slight differences in both the wing pattern and the reverse of the wing.

John

Hopefully, I will be able to post one in a bout a week. ;)

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!

BTW after looking at some 30s examples of Meyer wings either this maker was more geometric in design so I am thinking a deco influence...so this may be from the mid 1920' or later.

John

thumbsup.gif

This is a beautiful pattern which hails from approximately 1937 up through 1941 and was often given out at graduation ceremonies. What is known about it is that most were no-Sterling and came with a crisp looking snowflake pattern on the back. Those that usually turn up have a pin-back fastener; however it was also available with (yes) clutch-back fasteners. During the time-frame there were several senior "Military Airplane Pilot" officers who fancied the badge and had a star applied (not to be confused with a WW2 era "Senior Pilot"). One caveat to keep in mind about these badges is that Alan Beckman had some re-strikes made in the early 1980's and may even own the original die. Could yours be a re-strike? I have no idea. think.gif

-cp

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2019.gif

CP - thanks for the info. I have seen many of the snowflake versions pop up and I swear the pattern on the reverse has the same slightly flattened look. Not sure how to discribe it but the snowflakes look worn down vs. crisp like the detailsn on the front. Another interesting point is all are marked sterling.

As noted my is not marked and is made of brass with silver plate which was the cheaper version of wings vs. sterling.

John

John, here is a front scan of the badge given to Charles A. Polansky, Air Corps Advanced Flying School, Stockton, California, Class 40-E. Sorry for not being able to show the rear but the scanner just won't do it justice. One thing about the rear, the pin will piviot a full 180 degrees.

-cp

post-4542-1226812270.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2019.gif

Cliff - thanks for posting the photo. This appears to be an exact duplicate of mine. Does yours have the snowflake patter on the reverse and is it marked on any way.

Not sure if I asked this in another post but if you have a scale how much does it weigh?

Thanks

John

Does yours have the snowflake patter on the reverse and is it marked on any way.

Not sure if I asked this in another post but if you have a scale how much does it weigh?

Well as a matter of fact John we do have a scale up in the pantry which probably hasn't been used in about 30 years. :lol:

I re-calibrated the scale and the badge weighs approximately 0.52 ounces. It still has a thin coat of lacquer on it, and has a snowflake pattern on the back with no markings.

donation2019.gif

I just check mine and my scale says .53 oz - btw my pin does travel all the way.

John