Need help with my Dad' stuff

Glider Pilot Daughter

Apologies to Peggy for side tracking her post.

Im sure she has been inundated with offers by private messenger here and hope she finds a solution that best works for her in the end.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Thank you for your insights all.

If somebody has doubts about a museum or organization based on 1999 stories (which may be correct at that time), then all I can say is that it is not correct.

It is known that the museum and the people of the Association put a lot of time and effort in research and collecting the Glider Pilot information.

The museum is only about WW2 Glider pilots and I do not see how paperwork and such would not fit in there.

Have I heard stories of museum selling their suff...yes, I did.

Did I hear of collectors breaking up collections and selling them...yes I did.

For me, it was an option t show Peggy and it is her choise. If such an option is offered (without presure), it would be nice to leave it there, instead of getting 1999 info out here.

That's all I will say about it.

Happy Easter to all.

^ Well stated.

HONORING FAMILY LtCol Wm Russell (1679-1757) VA Mil; Pvt Zachariah McKay (1714-97) Frederick VA Mil; BrigGen Evan Shelby, Jr (1719-94) VA Mil; Pvt Vincent Hobbs (1722-1808) Wythe VA Mil; Pvt Hugh Alexander (1724-77); Lt John R. Litton (1726-1804); Bvt BrigGen/Col Wm W. Russell (1735-93) 5th VA Rgmt; Lt James Scott (1736-1817); Capt John Murray, Sr (1747-1833); Capt John Sehorn, Sr (1748-1831) VA Mil; Pvt Corbin Lane (1750-1816) Franklin/TN Mil; Cpl Jesse D. Reynolds (1750-1836) 5th VA Rgmt; Capt. Solomon C. Litton (1751-1844); 1Lt Christopher Casey (1754-1840) SC Mil; Pvt Mark Adams (1755-1828); Pvt Randolph White (1755-1831) Bailey's Co. VA Rgmt; Capt. John R. Russell (1758-1838); Pvt Joseph T. Cooley (1767-1826) Fort Hempstead Mil; Pvt Thomas Barron (1776-1863) 1812; Capt. John Baumgardner (1787-1853) VA Mil; Pvt Joel Estep (1828-1864) Co B 5th KY Inf CSA & US; Pvt George B. Bell (1833-1910) Co C 47th IL Inf US; Cpl Daniel H. Barron (1838-1910) Co B 19th TN Rgmt Inf CSA; Capt Richard K. Kaufman (1908-1946) 7th PRG/3rd AF CCU; T-5 Vernon L. Bell (1926-95) 1802nd Spec Rgmt; PO2 Murray J. Heichman (1932-2019) HQSB/MCRD; PFC Jess Long (1934-2017) US Army; PFC Donald W. Johnson (1931-) 43rd ID HQ; A1C Keith W. Bell (1931-2011) 314th TCW; A3C Michael S. Bell (1946-) 3346th CMS; A1C Sam W. Lee (1954-2017) 2d BW; AW3 Keith J. Price (1975-) VP-10; 1Lt Matthew Wm Bell (1985-) 82nd Abn/SOC

I agree its always best to explain any and all options as I often see people not given these choices.

As for the 1999 information it was provided as information only not as hear say or some story which I included a name of the source in my last comment.Im sure he is still on file as a former member.I hesitated to publicly post his name as he has passed on and cant reply himself but he had deep concerns for the museum and organizations.This concern worked out for the better in this case.If Lubbock hadnt stepped forward for a new location what would have happened? Where would it all have gone.Legitimate concerns to any and all.

I would love to visit the GP Museum someday.It has been a item of intrest for years.Im not real close but its driveable and hope to do so if Im able in the future.

In Memoriam:
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

On another note Im sure Peggy would be able to offer copies of any paper work she has if she chooses to not donate the originals.

Part of a concern is keeping the group intact but if she chooses to make copies that could be avaiable to a museum they group stays intact and the information is shared.

In Memoriam:

Glider Pilot Daughter

I have finally been able to catch up on all these posts,

First, thank you all for your concern. It is a decision I am going to make carefully.

I want you all to know that while no one can know what will happen when something is hand over, I am aware of the many issues involved. I served on the Board of Directors for a local museum for several years. I understand the many problems they face. My Dad was a member of the WWII Glider Pilot's Association starting in 1976 until his death in 1988. My mother and I donated a Nazi flag my Dad brought back with him from Holland.

I am an avid researcher and teacher so making sure that any valuable information isn't lost is extremely important to me. I have scanned all the photos and most of the documents so no matter what happens to the originals, the information is persevered. In 2003 I developed a website with all the pictures taken by my Dad and asked for feedback on helping me determine where many of the photos were taken. I had the site up for three years and no one responded. I am really surprised and delighted that there is now so much interest in research.

I am still in the process of developing an inventory of exactly what I have. Until I have finished I will not have the information I need to make a decision. However, be assured I will take all your information to heart.

Peggy

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Peggy,

Thank you for the update regarding your fathers personal grouping and the astute questions you are posing to the members. One of the primary goals of the USMF is to be a clearing house for accurate information regarding US Militaria.

A Reminder to the USMF........You're a bit adrift so please remain moored to the intent and spirit of the topic at hand and focus on Peggy's request for assistance to identify and provide information on her fathers personal items. There are many topics on the tangential issues regarding museums, associations, etc. which are posted elsewhere on the forum that may be perused and added to at will.

Now, back to the topic at hand.....

sidetrack Two:

Every legitimate museum has a contract covering accesssion. Obtain and read BEFORE you donate especially if you are concerned with them selling or disposing of your donated stuff. Two which I have donated to (SWM Lubbock and NMUSAF Dayton) require irrevocable and unconditional title transfer and reserve the right to sell, trade or otherwise transfer donated material. This includes transfer of copyright and trademark. The SWM currently includes return to donor as a disposition. This I believe is on a first right of refusal basis of action if they decide to be rid of an item.

Prior to 1999 there were two US glider pilot groups. One was Military or Combat Glider Association (not sure of exact name) and the NWW2GPA, Inc which is the survivor Association. NWW2GPA, Inc turned ownership of the museum (Terrell) to the City of Lubbock circa 2001. One might say there were physical fights among members as to which city was preferred. Lubbock won. Everything except the CG-4A, TG-4 and a couple TG-32 was turned over to the city of Lubbock. As of a couple years ago, the gliders were turned over to the city. The NWW2GPA started a Foundation to collect money donations for support of the museum in order to by-pass budgeting and political functions of the city. This was the source of the L-5 "dead stick" trainer and a few other larger items which were purchased for the museum. The NWW2GPA, Inc does not hold any physical items. Any items received by the Association are turned over to the SWM.

The SWM museum has a file for each of the 7,000+ MOS 1026 glider pilots of the USAAF, but the problem is many of them are empty. There are eight of us NWW2GPA members who are researchers and finders of paperwork and photos for each of these GPs and we would like for Peggy to contact us privately. C.Day, Nat.Sec., NWW2GPA, Inc.

Please do what you want with your father's things. I am sure you have put many thoughts into this decision. Selling or donating is much better than throwing his history away. My grandfather took his uniform and wore it out back home. He fought in WW1. Thanks for your dad's service and keeping it alive.

Chris