USMC Helmet Cover Maker

Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz

I am curiou if anyone out there would be able to recognize the maker of this helmet cover? Don't think I've seen it before. It looks to be a pretty good repro. I want to guess that it is an ATF repro, but not sure.

post-115-0-04605900-1492119712_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

A thought suddenly occurs to me, could you run a piece of string through the button holes to hold the cover on?

You can tell by the HBT pattern of the material.

Also the beach side does not have the shark tooth stitching (It is closed looped like the jungle side).

WW2 USMC Camo Helmet covers are made of cotton material and sewn with cotton thread. A burn test will tell you if the stitching is polyester or cotton. If you can get a loose thread off different places and hold a match to the thread. Polyester (post war) thread will curl up into a hard plastic ball. So will WW2 Rayon but the rayon ball crushes into ash between your fingers, polyester will not. The real McCoy was sewn with cotton thread. A 100% WW2 cotton thread will burn clean like a fuse but leaves hardly any ash residue. There is no mistaking the Polyester thread. Also a blacklight in a dark room will tell you if the thread is Polyester. Modern sewing machines have to use Polyester thread, cotton thread is too weak and breaks in the modern commercial machines. They still use 100% cotton material but everything these days is made with Polyester thread. The blacklight once you learn how to recognize fluorescent glow from white reflection will tell you if thread and material is polyester. Polyester is basically plastic thread ( very strong ) and because each strand is a solid plastic tube it fluoresces and carries light like fiber optic cable. That's why it glows in the dark. Cotton will not glow. The best way to learn is to view a WW2 cotton patch and a modern polyester patch in the dark side by side. There is no mistaking polyester, it glows like a neon sign under the blacklight in a dark room. Al the repro cotton web gear looks real genuine but is sewed with polyester thread, especially the repro German equipment I've owned & inspected. The stitching thread will give it away under a blacklight or burn test.

Michael.

Thanks, wasn't sure who made it. Looks like nice cloth. Someone on Ebay paid over $200 for it.

Yikes! Someone paid $200+ for a repro helmet cover...

Thanks, wasn't sure who made it. Looks like nice cloth. Someone on Ebay paid over $200 for it.

Great News! I am the "someone" that paid over $200 for this cover, knowing full well that it was a repro! I paid $224.72 with $8.00 shipping for a total of $232.74 to be exact. I watched several novices bid this cover up to $222.22 and decided that an intervention was needed. I won the cover at $224.72, promptly paid for it, received it, removed it from the shipping box, placed it next to one of my originals, took photos, sent a message to the seller to notify him that it was a reproduction and provided the side by side photos to show the differences. Since the listing stated that the seller did not accept returns, I filed a return claim with eBay, which the seller agreed to. I returned the cover for a full refund to include shipping to and from the seller. The seller received his cover and an education on how to identify a reproduction from an original, a novice buyer was blocked from paying $222.22 for a reproduction. I received all of the money I spent on this intervention. All is well.

ParanormalTrooper

Great News! I am the "someone" that paid over $200 for this cover, knowing full well that it was a repro! I paid $224.72 with $8.00 shipping for a total of $232.74 to be exact. I watched several novices bid this cover up to $222.22 and decided that an intervention was needed. I won the cover at $224.72, promptly paid for it, received it, removed it from the shipping box, placed it next to one of my originals, took photos, sent a message to the seller to notify him that it was a reproduction and provided the side by side photos to show the differences. Since the listing stated that the seller did not accept returns, I filed a return claim with eBay, which the seller agreed to. I returned the cover for a full refund to include shipping to and from the seller. The seller received his cover and an education on how to identify a reproduction from an original, a novice buyer was blocked from paying $222.22 for a reproduction. I received all of the money I spent on this intervention. All is well.

WOW- I wish more collectors were like you sir!

Job WELL done!

Most definitely a good citizen, USMC Grunt you did good brother!!

Larry