Opinions on this WW1 bullion wing.

Baker502

I think a valid point that was made in the research department is to search out and study period photographs that show enough detail. This way you will have a decent idea of the construction styles used. I am sure that many variations exsist and that quality varied as well with the skill of the maker.

I think lots of helpful infomation has been posted and I hope this will continue as there is always new things to learn and lots of things to share.

John

What are thoughts about this which I found in a militaria catalog. It does not seem to meet some of the standards i.e. X's for stars... but it looks ok otherwise.

bullionvr4.jpg

Chris made some interesting points in post #25 so just to stur the pot a bit more here are two 1917 style Military Aviator badges. Both look okay but one is a reproduction while the other is a legitimate biographical badge. Based on the broad range of what to look for that has been covered in this thread is this still open for discussion?

Badge 1:

post-4542-1227166869.jpg

I'm not going to give my opinion on #27 as it seems a bit pixelated, but it looks like a real wing from what I can see. The stars are X's and look good, I don't know what else to say with out seeign better photo's ..paul

I'm not going to give my opinion on #27 as it seems a bit pixelated, but it looks like a real wing from what I can see. The stars are X's and look good, I don't know what else to say with out seeign better photo's ..paul

Paul - yes the photo is not as good since I had to enlarge it to show the details. You are correct that it is a good wing! Now would you care to offer a best guess as to country it was made in and the maker? You get a bonus for getting both...

John

PS everyone else is welcome to join in!

Chris made some interesting points in post #25 so just to stur the pot a bit more here are two 1917 style Military Aviator badges. Both look okay but one is a reproduction while the other is a legitimate biographical badge. Based on the broad range of what to look for that has been covered in this thread is this still open for discussion?

Badge 1:

Cliff,

Any more words on this topic? Was Paul correct above?

Cheers!

Chris

Cliff,

Any more words on this topic? Was Paul correct above?

Cheers!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Please excuse my being remiss on this. Yes Paul was correct on both 27 and 28.

The 1918 MA with star (number 28) was worn by Colonel Arthur Read Christie, F.A.I. Certificate number 323 in May 1915; Junior Military Aviator and Expert Aviator Number 40 in July 1915. He received his Military Aviator rating in July 1918. During WW1 he served as C.O. 99th Aero Squadron, 5th Army Corps Observation Group; C.O. 2nd Aviation Instructional Center, Tours, France; Chief of Air Service, 5th Army Corps, Toul Sector 1918.

All the best,

Cliff

-cp

• 1 month later...
I am kicking this thread up to the top as another wing in this pattern seems to have come up on an ebay auction (being sold out of the "millionaire" collection). For some reason, they are not showing the detail of this wing on the uniform, but in other auctions, they do show the detail of other wings. But, with careful examination, I believe that this is the same militaria aviator wing style that is shown in a couple of the other posts in this discussion.

Thoughts?

Just was reviewing this thread again.

I ended up as the high bidder on this jacket, and the wing was fake. It was a classic Pakistan-made fake with limited detail and most telling, the black thin thread to pick out the details in the wings.

Also, you can tell from the string hanging from the right side of the wing that it was loose on the jacket. You could see under the wing and there was no ghost or outline - which you'd expect of a wing that's been on a jacket for 90 years!

I sent the jacket back in a hurry!

Dave