Marine Green Camo M1

Kiwi65

Hi folks,
Here’s an M1 shell I got recently. Bought from Motueka, New Zealand. Not too far from Wellington, the temporary home of the USMC from 1942 to 1944.
It’s a McCord #41B, fixed loop, OD#3 chinstraps with flat brass buckle & sharp brass J hook. No liner.
It’s had a repaint with the marine green/vehicle paint that you see from time to time, then red-brown splotches have been applied. It looks like the big stress crack front left has marine green/vehicle paint in it so the crack was already there when it received the repaint. The stress cracks at the rear have no paint in them and are a lot smaller but more numerous.
The inside is original paint/rust etc, no repaint.
I’m curious as to why repaint a helmet with a big crack and not discard it?
Opinions welcome.
I paid NZ$101, about US$70.

post-6029-0-84060400-1492075908_thumb.jpg

judging from wartime photos helmets with stress cracks like your helmet were still used that way, it's common to find a used helmet with numerous stress cracks that were already there from when it was new.

hello

can someone post ww2 photos of usmc wearing hlemets with such camo, i have never seen or heard of such paint jobs, i am always willing to learn

semper fi

conn,

Its not the camo, but the very distinctive dark forest green paint color and the texture of the paint. It is very common on USMC re-painted WWII helmets, and is not seen in the ETO or used by Army units.

Very nice helmet. I like the fixed bales. Original period paint and camo and you only paid $70 equivalent U.S. ?

I would be one happy guy!! Research the USMC units in the AOR, find an appropriate liner, make a display for it and make that a center piece of your collection and enjoy! You my sir are the envy of many right now.

thank you Ronny for the info

I have seen this green before ,

never knew to consider it post ww2 usmc

looks too glossy to me for something I would have wore in the field'

I remember the tape to cover metal parts on our war gear being that color

semper fi

houston1852

Im loving it too......mike

Hi Mike, I'm trying to get a message to you but your inbox must be full. If you see this can you send me a message?