Selfridge Field and parachutes

Steindaddie

Here's a neat item I just acquired - a poster of the successful parachute jumps from the chutes packed at Selfridge Field Michigan 1925-69 It's small poster sized and came in it's original art deco frame made of Army Air Corps spruce. Some notable names on the list as well as the serial number of the parachute and the rigger who packed it. One rigger, J. A. Graham, had 15 saves ! I'm thinking he never had to buy a beer during his entire career.

-Will

post-1949-1224207575.jpg

Now that's pretty groovy...

Jumper #6 naturally caught my eye. Anyone know of a decent online account of this incident? I've been looking, but the only info I've been able to find is the aircraft type... Curtiss P-1 Hawk... and the apparent cause... wing failure. I've also found info stating that this incident took place during warm ups for a demo flight at the Cleveland Air Races in 1929, which doesn't jive with the date entered on your chart... unless Doolittle was practicing nine months early... which is indeed a possibility.

Anyhoo, looking at the chart, it would seem that there's another possibility... that this wing failure may have been caused by a mid-air collision, as another jump was made on the same date. Was this demo flight at the air races perhaps a multi-ship routine? I'm still looking for info myself, but if someone can point me to an online account, or perhaps quote a published account of this incident, I'd be most appreciative.

From what I understand, this 1928 jump was one of at least four jumps made by Doolittle, and the first of three emergency jumps... the second being made in 1931 from his Travel Air 'Mystery Ship', and the third from a B-25 in 1942. (any further explanation needed on that one? ;) )

Thanks for posting this Will!

Fade to Black...

Hey Wolfie - as always, you have the wealth of knowledge at your fingertips. I was looking at the same jump and time frame. Schoenlein and Doolittle were both racers - maybe the bumped wings? For the record, I just love oddball stuff like this poster - such items always have that certain "je ne sais quoi" about them.

-Will