44 dated e tool with pic shovel combo

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

picked this up today at the local Army Navy...not ever seeing a 44 dated e tool with the pick and shovel combo until the 60's, but have read they were made in the 50's...

So was very happy to add it to my collection...

1944 dated Woods with a ragged out carrier

post-155518-0-34416000-1492028702.jpg

I think it's an M43 shovel modified to M51 specifaction by adding the pick. The carrier seems to be a rather scarce 1st pattern with fixed hook.

phantomfixer

Thanks MB

So a M1943 E tool dated 1944, converted sometime post 1951...and the kicker is the early cover.....they had several M43s with the pick mod...most dated 44

now will have to look at the covers too

Those M51 shovels are sought after by Vietnam collectors, so if the price is right you could look into getting a couple. The 2nd pattern cover (and most commonly found) has an adjustable hook. The 1st pattern with a fixed hook (like yours) was copied by a number of countries post-war, so if you find others make sure they have US markings. Nice find! :)

Quartermaster

According to a volume in the US Army In World War II The Quartermaster Corps: Organization, Supply, and Services Volume I by Erna Risch, (the "green books"), the M-1943 Entrenching Tool was "hurriedly standardized and put into production at the insistence of the AGF" (Army Ground Forces) in 1943.

It was quickly determined that the M-1943 Entrenching Tool was "an adequate shovel, a good hoe, only a fair pick and an indifferent axe" and, as the thought was to begin reducing the variety of tools carried (the shovel or the axe or the pick), immediate focus was an improvement of the M-1943 tool. The focus was to add a pick tool the the M-1943 shovel and it received positive support.

"It was recommended that the new tool be issued immediately to combat and combat support units as replacement for the M-1943 shovel, the pick mattock and the ax, regardless of the condition of the intrenching tools in the possession of these units. The M-1943 shovel, pick mattock, and ax were reclassified as limited standard and were to be issued to units other than the combat and combat support units until exhausted. The new combination intrenching tool was standardized 21 September 1945. Because the war had ended before this action was completed no procurement was made."

I have blueprints of this combination tool and all are dated 1951 which aligns with the M-1951 designation date. What you may have is either an early "prototype" of the combination entrenching tool, one manufactured at some later date using older/leftover parts stamped with the 1944 date, an example of an earlier shovel retro fitted into the M-1951 configuration or a damaged 1944 shovel that was repaired and updated to the M-1951 configuration.

Who knows but a very interesting find.

phantomfixer

Thanks for the info Dwayne..

I went back to the AN store and looked for other dates and manufactures...there was at least one more 44 Woods with the pick ...several 44 and 45 Woods without, several 44 and 45 Ames, and one AFH, not sure of it's date...

I have two 65 dated e tools ...the wood handles are more robust and have a lanyard hole at the end...that is what threw me when I saw the 44 dated shovel and pic combo...their handles are typical 43-45 handles..

what you say is interesting...would be nice for a prototype......and would not be upset if they are postwar "put together from parts" for the early M51