WWII Garrison event food?

fordmustanggt_350

fordmustanggt_350

Guys,

A few guys and myself are putting on a garrison style event in the SF presidio and we are looking at having a few meals while we are there. I just wanted to see if any of you out there have ever put together a garrison event where you served food. What would be a authentic menu for the guys? It should be something fairly easy to do since we are working with limited resources. Any ideas? Are there any sites that cover what garrison life (food) was like? I know most of the concentration is on field stuff and I have got that down but not here at home. Also the impression is the weekend of Pearl Harbor so fairly early war.

Let me know what you guys think?

Thanks,

Kevin

I have a 1941 issue of LIFE magazine and the favorite meal back in 1941 was:

* FRIED CHICKEN dinner with mashed potatos & gravy, geen peas, shoe string fries, brean and butter, coffee, fruit salad

*Chili con carne, fresh fruit, bread & butter, donuts, coffee

*corned beef , yams, green beans, bread & butter, soup, apple pie, coffee

*bacon & eggs, toast, milk, coffee, hash browns, apple

served on the Army's all new all in one stainless steel tray!

you could order a few buckets of KFC with all the fixins and serve it on military stainless steel mess hall trays

KFC buttermilk biscuits with butter would be correct for early WWII era chow, also corn on the cobb

if you order KFC make sure you get original recipe, thats the closest to old fashioned southern fried chicken thumbsup.gif

old fashioned donuts were also very popular for desert with a cup of coffee