Help Needed: Reproducing WWII MKIIIA2 Offensive Grenade

capajo02

I have been looking for a way to reproduce the WWII-era MKIIIA2 Offensive Grenade for displays, but I have not had any luck finding photos of all sides or finding the dimensions. I may have a source of materials, but I cannot find detailed specs. Does anyone have an inert original which they could share photos of and dimensions? Is this info included in any TMs? Any help or sources of information would be appreciated.

Hayes Otoupalik used to offer a repro, but he let me know he just sold his last one recently, and the gentleman who made that has passed away.
Thanks in advance for any help.
-John

I have been looking for a way to reproduce the WWII-era MKIIIA2 Offensive Grenade for displays, but I have not had any luck finding photos of all sides or finding the dimensions. I may have a source of materials, but I cannot find detailed specs. Does anyone have an inert original which they could share photos of and dimensions? Is this info included in any TMs? Any help or sources of information would be appreciated.

Hayes Otoupalik used to offer a repro, but he let me know he just sold his last one recently, and the gentleman who made that has passed away.

Thanks in advance for any help.
-John

Unless you're anal about the fuse, why not buy a modern practice grenade?.....They generally come minus paint.....Bodes

Just to clarify... I have a few original Mk II grenades with original fuses. I am looking for info on this grenade:

post-9280-0-12094400-1491839177_thumb.jpg

Reproach are available through reenactor supply companies.

Service of Supply at www.serviceofsupply.com has one listed for about $30.00.

There are probably others that sell them, too. Take a look at At The Front's WWII links page for dozens of other outfits selling a variety of reenactor stuff. Their website is www.atthefront.com

I cannot tell you if the repro grenades are any good, just letting you know that they are out there.

TheGrayGhost

If I were you I would buy some spent M18 smoke grenades, glue some craft paper to the body at an angle to recreate the cardboard tube look, paint, label and call it good. That would the simplest and probably cheapest way to create something very close.

If I were you I would buy some spent M18 smoke grenades, glue some craft paper to the body at an angle to recreate the cardboard tube look, paint, label and call it good. That would the simplest and probably cheapest way to create something very close.

The body looks a lot like a frag grenade shipping can...You used to be able to get post war shipping cans on eBay for a pretty cheap price.....You may want to look there as well...Bodes

The tube I could find was slightly larger in diameter than the original, but here are a few photos of my attempt at reproducing one of these. If I can come up with a better one, I will share it here.

post-9280-0-85968000-1492454206.jpg

The tube I could find was slightly larger in diameter than the original, but here are a few photos of my attempt at reproducing one of these. If I can come up with a better one, I will share it here.

I like it....Ain't perfect, but will meet the need....Bodes

I just picked up a correct diameter tube, and I will be redoing one of these this weekend. I'll update with my improved model next week.

Great work. I would use coffee to stain the label and bring out some age.

I like these kind of projects.

Member "navybean" sold an original one of these for $200 in the FS section a year ago or so and I am still kicking myself I did not buy it.

EDIT: Sorry I posted the same pic twice. I tried to delete and reupload, but it did not work. I will add another pic below.

post-9280-0-96507300-1493088224.jpg

• 5 months later...

Thanks very much for posting the picture of your original. I think my second attempt looks pretty close to your original. Thanks for looking at this old thread.