Norfolk?

I'll be in the Norfolk, VA area this spring and I have very limited time to myself while I'm there (most of one day, likely), but plan on hitting:

• USS Wisconsin
  • The museum that has the USS Monitor items in it (can't recall the name right now)
  • Ft Eustis Army Transportation Museum (gotta hit that, been wanting to se that for many years)

Anything else in the immediate area that is a 'gotta see' thing? Any really good surplus places in the area?

Please, I don't need to know anything outside the immediate area, as I won't have time for a road trip other than Eustis, which I was willing to sacrifice everything else to get there if I had to...

There is an old fashioned surplus store on Granby Street in the middle of Norfolk. M&G sales have been there since 1946. You might enjoy the stop and find a treasure. The MacArthur Memorial/Museum is also in Norfolk. As Kadet has said, the Aviation museum in Pungo is great!!

Chris

The MacArthur Memorial is a must see. The surplus store on Granby is a junk shop - wouldn't waste time there. The Virginia War memorial / museum in Hampton is good. Also on that side is Fort Monroe and the Casemate Museum - worth a visit. If you have time, the battlefield at Yorktown is a must if you like that era as is Colonial Williamsburg. Those are just past Eustis and the great Transportation Corps museum there.

Not sure if this is good or not - I've heard it's worthwhile from visitors, but don't think it includes going aboard a ship as it used to, but the tour reportedly gives a great overview of the base: https://www.visitnorfolk.com/things-to-do/tours/tour-norfolk-naval-base/

Thanks for the suggestions, I didn’t realize there was so much stuff in the area as every time I’ve ever been there, I’ve never had the time to go explore on my own (or were passing through on my way to somewhere else). There’s no chance I’ll be able to do all that stuff and I’ve seen so many warbird museums in my lifetime, I only get excited if they have something I’ve never seen before (or have a B-17 I’ve never seen before). I’ll have the majority of one day to do what I want and maybe a few hours on another day and that’s it. I guess I’ll be lucky to get in the 3 places I listed earlier.

Thanks for the heads up on surplus places, I don’t think I’ll waste any good museum-visit time looking for stuff I probably don’t need anyway.