I bet nobody else has this, war shortages affected everything

trenchrat1918

trenchrat1918

The earlier washboard post from turmanator started me thinking about the war and how it affected everyday life so I thought I would share one of the more unusual objects from my collection. Many years ago I picked up a large box of feminine hygiene products with ww2 labeling. I have been asked many times why I would bother since nobody would want them but I think they offer a glimpse into just how deeply the war and the material shortages, real or otherwise, affected everyone.

I think these score very highly on the weird factor, betcha nobody else has ww2 tampons.

post-160250-0-42825000-1491490430.jpg

post-160250-0-24260700-1491490443.jpg

post-160250-0-23555800-1491490463.jpg

That is actually pretty cool, and does illustrate the wartime shortages.

I think you win the home front prize on that one!

trenchrat1918

That is actually pretty cool, and does illustrate the wartime shortages.

I think you win the home front prize on that one!

As far as I am concerned they are one of the more interesting things I have come across, it's just not a glamorous big ticket item.

Two days ago one of my history classes invited a professor who specializes in the history of menstruation to come and speak about educational movies from the 1940's. There's a person who specializes in collecting these types of items here in the U.S. His name is Harry Finley and his collection has had widespread recognition.

trenchrat1918

Two days ago one of my history classes invited a professor who specializes in the history of menstruation to come and speak about educational movies from the 1940's. There's a person who specializes in collecting these types of items here in the U.S. His name is Harry Finley and his collection has had widespread recognition.

It would be intersting to see, you would be able to track how the attitudes toward women changed as more of them entered the work force and as veterans returned home. You would also be able to follow the demand for war materials and the changes manufacturers of common household items had to make.

Ya know, I have absolutely no problem conceding that you win any and all contests for having the oddest home front item. Congrats, the honor is all yours. :)

Brian Keith

Yes, I would buy an example of those. Just might not be exhibited a lot. Thanks for posting it. I'm struggling to keep my comments above the belt, so, I'll just end my sentence with a small black dot.

BKW

dogfacedsoldier

I have a WWII era Sanitary Belt, and I had a Kotex, still might, and a Kotex Box an Army Captain had in his footlocker, in which he carried socks. Now that is pretty strange, close to what you posted, but yours is very interesting.

trenchrat1918

I have a WWII era Sanitary Belt, and I had a Kotex, still might, and a Kotex Box an Army Captain had in his footlocker, in which he carried socks. Now that is pretty strange, close to what you posted, but yours is very interesting.

Very interesting, you need a box for you socks you use what you have. Is there any war time packaging? I don't know about WW2 but I think in WW1 and earlier tampons were carried as field dressings, very handy for plugging holes and they could be unrolled. They were usually individually packaged so they were clean. I can't verify this of course, maybe someone else has some information on this, anecdotal or otherwise.