100 years ago

rufus_firefly

rufus_firefly

100 years ago today this country declared war on Germany entering World War I

Only a day or two afterwards I was leaving quarters to go back to my ward, when I had to wait to let a large contingent of troops march past me along the main road that ran through our camp. They were swinging rapidly towards Camiers, and though the sight of soldiers marching was too familiar to arouse curiosity, an unusual quality of bold vigour in their swift stride caused me to stare at them with puzzled interest.

They looked larger than ordinary men; their tall, straight figures were in vivid contrast to the under-sized armies of pale recruits to which we had grown accustomed. At first I thought their spruce, clean uniforms were those of officers, yet obviously they could not be officers, for there were too many of them; they seemed, as it were, Tommies in heaven. Had yet another regiment been conjured from our depleted Dominions? I wondered, watching them move with such rhythm, such dignity, such serene consciousness of self-respect. But I knew the colonial troops so well, and these were different; they were assured where the Australians were aggressive, self-possessed where the New Zealanders were turbulent.

Then I heard an excited exclamation from a group of Sisters behind me.

Look! Look! Here are the Americans!

I pressed forward with the others to watch the United States physically entering the war, so God-like, so magnificent, so splendidly unimpaired in comparison with the tired, nerve-racked men of the British Army. So these were our deliverers at last, marching up the road to Camiers in the spring sunshine! There seemed to be hundreds of them, and in the fearless swagger of their proud strength they looked a formidable bulwark against the peril looming from Amiens.

An uncontrollable emotion seized me as such emotions often seized us in those days of insufficient sleep; my eyeballs pricked, my throat ached, and a mist swam over the confident Americans going to the front. The coming of relief made me realise all at once how long and how intolerable had been the tension, and with the knowledge that we were not, after all, defeated, I found myself beginning to cry.

Vera Brittain, an English nurse serving in France:

I remember seeing the WW1 veterans in the local parades as a child. Perhaps a bit slower a foot, but they still carried our flag proudly.

I remember them to, my neighborhood was full of veterans, my father and the WWII guys, but the WWI guys always led the parade to the National Cemetery on Veterans Day. Guy across the alley was a Co. M 166th Rainbow Sgt., next to him a Aero Mech., next door to us was a 350th Inf. (88th) I could go on and on. I was lucky enough to have an interest and got patches etc. from them and some great stories but wish I'd have spent more time with them. I was 8 years old then, but remember Maurice Rose ex Sgt. 166th, came across the alley and hugged me when it was my turn to go in 66, he just said for me to take care of myself and do my duty.

Brian Keith

I remember a few WW I Vets, in my church, and around. I've been doing military history displays for a number of years and I recall one WW I vet came through and my buddy tried to ask him a bit about his experiences, but he squeezed my buddies arm really hard (this Vet would have been in his '90's) and said "I don't want to talk about it."

BKW

When I was growing up, my dad and his WW2 buddies were the "young guys". The WW1 vets were probably in their 60's then but they looked a lot older to me. I still had a grandfather that was in WW1. I heard a lot of stories from grandpa but now I wish I had asked more questions. As a kid I thought these guys would be around forever.

God Bless the Doughboys.

Dan