Sign in to follow this  
nuts121944

Early Army or USAAF Cap Badge Need Help

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me date this cap badge? I picked it up recently and it has beautiful detail. The prongs on the back are what have me stumped as there is no screw-back or prongs anywhere else on the eagle. It's thin but solid. I'm thinking maybe inter-war period? Maybe earlier? I'm not sure when this particular style of badge started to be issued. Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Regards,

Nick

post-151255-0-74390300-1491458517_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-82055500-1491458529_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-42012400-1491458546_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-95108600-1491458559_thumb.jpeg

"God almighty, in a few short hours we will be in battle with the enemy. We do not join battle afraid. We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if You will, use us as Your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We ask only this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die, without complaining, without pleading and safe in the feeling that we have done our best for what we believed was right. Oh Lord, protect our loved ones and be near us in the fire ahead and with us now as we pray to you."

All were silent for two minutes as the men were left, each with his individual thoughts. Then the colonel ordered, "Move out."

-Lt. Col. Robert L. Wolverton

Commander, 3rd Battalion, 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division -- On the eve of the D-day Invasion, 5 June 1944

I can't tell you exactly what it's for, but I don't believe it is for a US Army or USAAF officer's cap. Mainly due to the design - notice how the clutched arrows and branches extend out well beyond the eagle feathers. That gives it a totally different "look" from a cap badge. And the double prong attachment doesn't make me think it was for an officer's cap.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Yeah, it's quite flat as well...Doesn't have prongs either to keep from rotating...Not sure what it would be for, military academy perhaps?....Bodes

Yeah, it's quite flat as well...Doesn't have prongs either to keep from rotating...Not sure what it would be for, military academy perhaps?....Bodes

Foreign made?....Movie prop?....Bodes

Sorry, I should have also included the measurements for reference. It measures 2 1/4 inches tall by 2 inches wingtip to wingtip. It seems like that would be rather large and heavy to be a sweetheart item. Bodes, I was also thinking that it might be foreign made of some kind. Although there aren't any maker marks on it. Thanks so much for all your help guys. If anyone else has any opinions, I would love to hear them!

Best Regards,

Nick

"God almighty, in a few short hours we will be in battle with the enemy. We do not join battle afraid. We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if You will, use us as Your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We ask only this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die, without complaining, without pleading and safe in the feeling that we have done our best for what we believed was right. Oh Lord, protect our loved ones and be near us in the fire ahead and with us now as we pray to you."

All were silent for two minutes as the men were left, each with his individual thoughts. Then the colonel ordered, "Move out."

Commander, 3rd Battalion, 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division -- On the eve of the D-day Invasion, 5 June 1944

Here's another one for you out of the same grouping. I believe this one to be post-1947 since it is silver, but it is an interesting build and appears to be frosted sterling though it isn't maker-marked or stamped sterling on the back. The pin mount and catch make me think definitely more sweetheart of jewelry piece for this one. It measures 2 1/8 inches tall by 2 inches wide. What do you guys think?

Best Regards,

Nick

post-151255-0-17465800-1491515012_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-84422300-1491515023_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-46165700-1491515042_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-02179700-1491515052_thumb.jpeg

Very interesting Alex. Thanks so much for posting that. Do you know what period that brooch was from? Was it WW2 or inter-war?

Best Regards,

Nick