47th Troop Carrier Squadron, 313th TCG C-47 Skytrain

GMPETE

I acquired these four original 8x10 photos dated 12th October 1944, a while back and believe I have identified the unit. I am posting them here to make them available to anyone who might have an interest in this outfit.

The squadron code on the nose appears to be N3 which led me to the 47th Troop Carrier Squadron of the 313th Troop Carrier Group, 52nd Troop Carrier Wing, 9th Air Force.

I found images of the 47th CO, Lt. Col. Paul W. Stephens on the web, and it looks like he is indeed in these photos.

They dropped paratroops at Sicily, Salerno, Normandy, Holland, and Germany. 82nd AB, 101st AB, 17AB.... They stayed pretty busy. Note invasion stripes.

Hoping I am correct, and that these are useful to someone.

post-20738-0-24744700-1491416562_thumb.jpg

I am guessing this is the officers of the four squadrons of the 313th in the above photo, and I believe Lt. Col Stephens of the 47th is at extreme left.

post-20738-0-74183300-1491416873_thumb.jpg

To be clear, it may be that these images are more accurately of the 313th TCG of which the 47th TCS was part, and the C-47 featured happened to belong to the 47th.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't the plane in the first picture a C-46 Commando? Or is it the paint scheme that makes it look like a C-46?

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Interesting observation The 313th did start using the C-46 in 1945 when they moved to France but these pictures are dated to '44 when they still had the C-47 and C-53. Its same plane in all the pictures, and I think that is just the angle of the photo and perhaps the paint that you are seeing. It could be a C-53. As a result of your question though I realize I just assumed C-47 based on the appearance .....from this angle they would look the same and it could be either. 47 or 53.

• 3 weeks later...
Nightdriver

media-395782.jpg?itok=1ZaTXrVq

Here is the only known colour photo of Col James J Roberts (on the right). I have for many years been researching the 313th and the men that served with the group and I have managed to build up a large collection of photographs related to the group. The second and third photos I have only ever seen in the the book published by the 47th Troop Carrier Squadron back in 1978. The fourth photo I have seen a copy of it for sale on ebay many years ago for $100, which I though at the time was rather expensive. I am also the owner of the photo album featured in this thread http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/255842-313thtcg-photo-album/ I would love to have scans of these photos if possible. I am also in touch with another guy who maybe able to identify a few of the men.

Glad you found this thread Nightdriver, and thanks for posting the link and additional info. That is a a great image you have there. Feel free to post any and all images on this thread that you want to that are relevant. I would be happy to get scans of the ones I posted to you. My main interest in starting the thread was to get the images out there as I had a feeling they may not be terribly common.

Nightdriver

Just had a another look at these George, the guy you are identifying as Col James Roberts is actually Lt Col Paul Stephens, who was the commanding officer of the 47th up until March 1945, when he was promoted to position of commanding officer of the 313th upon the death of Lt Col William Filer after Op Varsity

Have a look at this facebook page put up by Paul Stephens family

https://www.facebook.com/Colonel-Paul-W-Stephens-536207499745344/

Nightdriver-

I think you misread- Paul W. Stephens is the only officer I identify. Am I misunderstanding you?

• 3 years later...
On 4/15/2017 at 5:41 AM, GMPETE said:

Thanks Chuck. Interesting observation The 313th did start using the C-46 in 1945 when they moved to France but these pictures are dated to '44 when they still had the C-47 and C-53. Its same plane in all the pictures, and I think that is just the angle of the photo and perhaps the paint that you are seeing. It could be a C-53. As a result of your question though I realize I just assumed C-47 based on the appearance .....from this angle they would look the same and it could be either. 47 or 53.

It's a post from long time ago but...
She is a C-47 DL built at Long Beach.

Because the line between the OD and the grey is a straight line.
The 53s built at Santa Monica and the C-47s DK built at Oklahoma city do have a wavy line.