more updates on the UH-72 Lakota

mmerc20

Hello everyone,

I wanted to start a new thread about the UH-72 Lakota to address some previous issues brought up that at the time, I wish I could have answered, but wasn't able to. Now, I am currently attending the maintenance course in Texas for the helicopter and can better answer some of the problems.

First off, I have to say this is an AMAZING helicopter. It is so well thought out and wish we had Eurocopter make us helicopters earlier. The UH-72 (EC-145) is certified as a BK-117. If you don't know, the BK has been around since 1977 and has undergone a handful of updates over the years. Now, the bigger and better C2 model is here and just about as high tech as you can get!

Some of the issues brought up earlier were:

During flight tests in Southern California in mild, 80-degree weather, cockpit temperatures in the UH-72A Lakota soared above 104 degrees, the point at which the Army says the communication, navigation and flight control systems can overheat and shut down.

Yes, this can be a problem, but the Army in their aim to lower the cost, cut out some important things like air conditioning like was mentioned in the earlier thread. If AC is being put into them, it's only at NTC, not anywhere else. Eurocopter stressed that this was necessary, but the Army is stubborn. There is a system in place however that when the temperature exceeds a certain amount (by way of temp sensor on the dash) cooling fans kick in. The overheating is usually only a problem when sitting on the ground. Even with the window open there isn't much air circulation. Once in flight however, the overheating shouldn't be an issue.

There are a lot of things I am learning that the Army decided to cut out. I wish for once the powers that be would ask the mechanics and pilots what they feel is necessary before cutting things off that we would like. One thing that doesn't exist on the Army version is a hookup for doing engine washes. Basically, it's a easy access port to hook up water to in order to clean the engine, but the Army said "no" of course and didn't get it. Now, we have to manually spray or try to pour water into the intake. It's crap like that that becomes frustrating.

Some other things mentioned were:

With two litters there is not sufficient room for the medic to provide immediate

medical care to the patients.

The problem must just be with the Army. The UH-72 is like I said before, a bigger BK-117 which is used around the country for medevac. Now, the cabin is 6 inches wider, a little over a foot longer and even taller. Overall, there is an extra 36 square feet. And all of a sudden there is no room?

Medics are not able to properly perform or sustain critical medical treatment such

as defibrillation or cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

I'm not sure about this one. I don't know why the can't "properly" perform anything that is completely capable in the earlier BK-117.

There is no dedicated provision for cabin ceiling rails to hang IVs, infusion hooks,

or to store and secure medical equipment.

I will have to ask about this one. There has to be an STC (the approval to add other equipment basically) for rails or racks or something.

At night, completing medical evacuation missions was hampered by insufficient

cabin and external lighting to the rear of the aircraft.

There is better lighting available, but guess what....the Army didn't opt for it. Surprise.

Nothing is really secret on the helicopter, but I don't want to go into any major details right now since I am in the school currently. I have worked on other Eurocopter models on the civilian side and was impressed then. I will try to give some updates as the days go on. Sadly, I cannot take photos here at the school so I won't be able to provide any 1st hand "as seen" information.

Mike

mmerc20, are you out of NTC? If so then I'm guessin you know my buddy, he's going through the IE course at Rucker. Reading your post brought back some of the things he and I talked about when I last saw him at NTC back in May 2007. That combined with what another friend of mine in Germany (he's got some crazy serious connections) told me really made me wonder why the army did what they did.

If you can keep feeding us more info about the Lakota I'd love to hear about it.

I have been to NTC once. Actually I'm in the NC National Guard. We are the 3rd state slotted to get them and currently, they should be touching down on the ramp a couple days after I get back from school.

Week one is down. We covered some of the electrical and avionics, airframe, rotor system (main and tail) and drive and had a 50 question, closed book test (one wrong...yeah me) We have another week of aircraft specific stuff and the following week is at Turbomeca, the manufacturers of the engine. After that is 3 days of "options". Things like the hoist and sling will be covered there.

Mike

So I learned a little more on the overheating problem the Army was having in California.

Our instructor used to work at the factory and had dealt with this problem in Mississippi too. This issue is where the Army keeps the aircraft. They are not meant to sit out in the beating sun where interior temperatures can reach over 150! That seems to be the issue. The aircraft were sitting out on the ramp and baking the electronics. I think the news report was incorrect about the communications and flight control systems shutting down. I will double check on that.

There is a safety feature built into the most critical display system that will prevent it from turning on (or it will shut off) when the temperature reaches around 115 degrees or so. Now, once it cools off, it can turn back on, but that's I believe the issue CA was having.

Yes, the Army opted not to get the AC, but it is not a critical issue specifically for the instruments themself. Actually, there is seperate cooling system in place for the instruments. It is basically an outside air source (with a blower motor) that will direct air across them much like turning the vent on in your car would do. This system however has one control for a crew vent and one for the instruments.

As for a "dedicated ceiling rail" for hanging stuff. That is like I expected. It is not something that is provided by the factory, but it is an add-on that can be installed by an aftermarket company. The same thing goes for extra lighting.

It's just like the media to blow things out of proportion!

More updates later

Mike