EAGLE SQUADRON ACE BATTLE DRESS

cpatrick

Dom,

The eagle faced right on both sides- not mirrored.

You can buy me one at SOS.

Allan

Allan,

I can't help it, I still think they're right...but I'll buy anyway.

Dom

Allan,

I can't help it, I still think they're right...but I'll buy anyway.

Dom

Dom,

You can buy the first one. I'll get the second one.

Allan

• 3 months later...
Guest Photographer
:blink:w00t.gifWOW I have been collecting for over thirty years and have seen most everything. But this is great. Is there a nun you want mugged in exchange for this grouping. lol

• 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...

All,

I must have missed this post years ago.

Couple of bits I would have been keen to see:
1. What date/descriptor was on the BD blouse label? The OP implies this was a 2nd-pattern blouse. While I'm not familiar with that term, my assumption is that he was referring to it being a War Service Dress blouse vs a Suits, Aircrew blouse. Essentially identical garments (minor differences) but WSD wasn't around while the ES were operational. So basically, a 1943+ blouse rules out ES (WSD was introduced in 1943).

2. RAF personnel assigned to the three Eagle Squadrons. Insofar as I'm aware, the Brits did not wear the ES patches, including the officers.

3. Facings of the ES patches. Period photos show just about every wear combination of these patches -- facing forward, facing aft, both forward, both back, as well as occassionally just worn on one arm.

4. RAF wings: All issue RAF wings are unpadded/flat. It seemed fashionable to pad wings (literally some padding or a coin added) and the padding secured by the additional of a second backing layer to hold the padding in. I have some 20+ direct-vet acquisition RAF BD blouses. While a couple have padded wings, the majority are the standard issue, unpadded type. Conversely, a high percentage of the service dress uniforms I have posses padded wings.

5. The ribbons. None of these ribbons (other than DFC) were around while the ES were operational. The 1939-43 Star (which later became the 1939-45 Star) and the Africa Star were introduced in ribbon form in mid-1943. Aircrew Europe, France & Germany, et al were created in 1945 so none would have been available in ribbon form while the ES were in existence.