I picked these up the other day and am unsure on the dates. I have never seen backings like the ones on these two cap eagles. The brass cap eagle has the most crisp and beautiful detailing that I've ever seen in a cap eagle. It is relatively thin, but solid aside from the shield portion which is a bit hollowed. Even the back of this eagle is beautiful. It has a perfect patina. The thing that has me puzzled is the pins that would be used to secure it. Rather than being screw-back like most of the examples I've ever seen, this one has 2 pins that can be folded over and bent in to secure it to the inside of the cap. It measures approximately 2 1/4 inches tall by 2 inches wingtip-to-wingtip.

The silver eagle is, I'm assuming, post-1947 when the U.S. Air Force was formed aside from the U.S. Army, but I've never seen one quite like this. It appears to be frosted sterling, much like many CIBs that I've seen, but it is not marked sterling on the back. Additionally, the securing device on this one has me puzzled as well. The pin itself is mounted inside of what looks like a tower, and the pin catch on the other side is relatively primitive. It measures 2 1/8 inches tall by 2 inches wingtip-to-wingtip.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the potential dates and manufacture of both of these eagles as they appear to be more of the "exceptions" rather than the "rules". What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Regards,

Nick

post-151255-0-64685400-1491264256_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-03144700-1491264266_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-81001000-1491264275_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-05067400-1491264285_thumb.jpeg

"God almighty, in a few short hours we will be in battle with the enemy. We do not join battle afraid. We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if You will, use us as Your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We ask only this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die, without complaining, without pleading and safe in the feeling that we have done our best for what we believed was right. Oh Lord, protect our loved ones and be near us in the fire ahead and with us now as we pray to you."

All were silent for two minutes as the men were left, each with his individual thoughts. Then the colonel ordered, "Move out."

-Lt. Col. Robert L. Wolverton

Commander, 3rd Battalion, 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division -- On the eve of the D-day Invasion, 5 June 1944

Here are the photos of the silver-toned eagle.

post-151255-0-07842200-1491264402_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-89922600-1491264409_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-60783400-1491264418_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-21193000-1491264428_thumb.jpeg

"God almighty, in a few short hours we will be in battle with the enemy. We do not join battle afraid. We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if You will, use us as Your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We ask only this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die, without complaining, without pleading and safe in the feeling that we have done our best for what we believed was right. Oh Lord, protect our loved ones and be near us in the fire ahead and with us now as we pray to you."

All were silent for two minutes as the men were left, each with his individual thoughts. Then the colonel ordered, "Move out."

-Lt. Col. Robert L. Wolverton

Commander, 3rd Battalion, 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division -- On the eve of the D-day Invasion, 5 June 1944