Darius Holt, Revolutionary War Family Research,

Waffentag

I was not sure where to post this. My brother found some interesting things in doing some family research. Our Great, Great, Great, Grandfather (Great?) was Darius Holt a private in Colonel Putman's 5th Regiment and was at the battle of Stony Point under General Wayne.

We found the application sent in by my grandmothers brother, Colonel John Roscoe Holt, Service Number 05955 (1885-1959), who applied for membership in the Sons of the American Revolution in 1933. I also found a land grant from Darius Holt on line Maine archive, but I can not read the handwriting on the scanned document.

I have seen different things on line reference Darius Holt Born 1765, Died 1854, (Andover Mass., Later Norway Maine) and I am not sure what to believe.

One report says that he took part in the Battles of Lexington and Bunker hill? I think that he would have been too young for Lexington and Bunker Hill, (Breeds Hill) I also read that he was at Valley Forge and wounded at Stony Point where they poured silver onto a head wound to cauterize it.

I was wondering if there are any historians on the forum who may give me advice on how to track down what Darius Holt actually did in the war? What units he was with, where he fought, was wounded etc?

Also please let me know if you see anything on COL Holt in WW1 and WW2?

Thanks Pat

tdogchristy90

Although the battles of Lexington and concord and then bunker hill took place in 1775. That would make your man 10yo based on your account. The enlistment age for the continental army however was 16, 15 with parent approval.

From the information I'm seeing I think he joined after the 1781 reorganization of the Massachusetts Line. The one muster roll I see him on shows him appointed as a private March 10, 1781. It looks like he was born March 6, 1765 so that would put him joining up right after his 16th birthday (which makes sense).

Several MA units were disbanded in Jan 1781 under the reorganization... but the 5th was around until it was disbanded in late 1783. So your guy probably served his 2 years in the 5th from 1781-1783.

It would appear that he missed out on Stony Point.

I checked fold3 to see if they had anything that I didn't find on Ancestry and found this. He did enlist on March 10, 1781.

post-109234-0-42129100-1491241839_thumb.jpg

Thanks that is great! So, what did the 5th Mass do from 1781 to 1783? I have seen a couple sources state that he was wounded?

5th Massachusetts Regiment after the 1781 reorganization. The MA regiments were reduced from 15 down to 10 on Jan 1, 1781.

Relieved on January 1, 1781 from the 1st Massachusetts Brigade and assigned to the 2nd Massachusetts Brigade, an element of the Highland's Department.

The Highland's Department was in charge of defenses around the Hudson River area in NY. From what I can tell the 5th was assigned to the Highland's Dept until they were furloughed in June 1783 at West Point, NY.

Thanks, it seems that Darius was very young, so I thought, what about his dad, David Holt? I found David riot below Darius, in the same reference, Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors of the Revolutioary War, on page 188,

It says, Holt, David, Andover, private, Capt Heny Abott's Company, which marched on the alarm of April 19 1775, service 1 1/2 days.

Only, 1 1/2 days, but Lexington and Concord, the very first battle is very cool. I wonder if there is any more information on David?

This post below on Darius clued me in to look for the Dad,

"Darius (Rev War) Holt, 1763 - 1854

Darius (Rev War) Holt was born on month day 1763, at birth place, Massachusetts, to David (Rev War) Holt and Hannah Holt (born Martin).

David was born in August 1737, in Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts.

Darius had one brother: Amos (Capt.) Holt.

Darius married Chloe Holt on month day 1785, at age 22.

Chloe was born in 1768, in Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts.

Darius passed away of cause of death in 1854, at age 90 at death place, Maine."

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to say thanks for the help. I submitted an application and was accepted into Sons of American Revolution. I will join a local chapter here in PA now that I am in. I submitted for David Holt, who marched from Andover Mass, on the alarm of 19 April 1775. He was my Great Grandfather x 5. I did not set out to join SAR, but the more that I got into it, I thought that it would be a good way to ensure that the history was kept for my grandkids and future generations.

SAR went over my application checking everything in detail, every name, date and piece are supporting evidence was gone over in detail by the SAR genealogist. Before they approved, they asked for some additional evidence for one of my great grandparents in the chain. I provided a death notification of my great grandmother x3, and a census record, but I could not find my Great Grand Father x3. The SAR genealogist found the Civil War Records of my Great Grandfather William Totherly Holt, who was in Co I 26th Mass, Infantry who died of his wounds on 12 July 1863. He was wounded at the battle of La Fourche Crossing on 21 June 1863. Wow, My grandmother did not even know that her Grandfather had served and was killed in the Civil War. I need to find out more about that action. Also, found on my Dads side, that George A Rogers was WIA, he enlisted with the 1st Mass Heavy Artillery, which reflagged? Need to dig deeper into that unit too.

I live about an hour away from where the Battle of LaFourche Crossing took place. I was able to find William T. Holt's casualty card:

post-109234-0-91128800-1503598282_thumb.jpg

I live about an hour away from where the Battle of LaFourche Crossing took place. I was able to find William T. Holt's casualty card:

attachicon.gifFold3_Page_16_Compiled_Service_Records_of_Volunteer_Union_Soldiers_Who_Served_in_Organizations_from_the_State_of_Massachusetts.jpg

Wow, That is great! I read that he died of his wounds in the hands of the enemy? Are there any details on this battle. I am curious to know the circumstances? Was it a situation where the unit could not pull him off the field? Did they normally take good care of the enemy wounded?

My grandmothers Dad, William R. (Wild Bill) Holt was raised by his grand parents because his mom died of TB in 1861, and Dad, William Totherly Holt went off to war in 1861 and died in 1863. Grandma never knew any of this. Her Mom died of TB also and her Dad, Wild Bill Holt left her in Boston with an older married sister and took off to Norway Maine, likely living on the land/farm, that Darius Holt received as pension for service in the American Revolution. It is all hard to judge today, not knowing the full story.

Welcome to the SAR Compatriot Waffentag. I too have recently joined through decent of Pvt John Branner, Dunmore Co, VA Militia, and have since found his father served, as well as three PA ancestors, so those are all in Supplemental as we speak. Great Organization