(1886-2008) Mustang Guy's Navy Rate Collection

hhbooker2

• 2 weeks later...
Some new pilot rates

post-2501-1288219687.jpg

post-2501-1288219590.jpg post-2501-1288219241.jpg

Jason

Cool pre 1940 AP2/c cdrow. notice it was trimmed down from an AP1/c. Would love to know that story.

Steve Hesson

Cool pre 1940 AP2/c cdrow. notice it was trimmed down from an AP1/c. Would love to know that story.

Steve Hesson

Steve,

This is actually a ww2 pilot rate. I think its dated 1943. I'm not sure why they made them like this, but you see some pre ww2 rates with the head facing the wrong direction also.

Jason

Two new pilot rates (gold wings)

post-2501-1287257884.jpg post-2501-1287257893.jpg

post-2501-1287257901.jpg

Jason

Hey Jason, what do you know about the embroidery on the bottom or 2nd class Aviation Pilot rate. I have seen others that were hand embroidered like this. Any idea about the story behind these? - Jeff

Hey Jason, what do you know about the embroidery on the bottom or 2nd class Aviation Pilot rate. I have seen others that were hand embroidered like this. Any idea about the story behind these? - Jeff

Jeff,

I'm not sure, but I would guess it was maybe tailor made?

Jason

I don't know anything about it, but what's interesting is that the lower mark seems to follow after the pattern of bullion embroidered breast wings, while the upper mark and most of the "straight wing" varieties are styled more like the metal pin wings.

Thanks all for the nice badges posted here!

Justin B.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very rare indeed Jason and seldom seen. Is this rate from your collection? I am so very envious. If ever for sale, please remember me. Thanks for sharing.

-Fritz

• 1 month later...
I am very envious of those Aviation Pilot rates as well. Sheesh...I can't nail a single one down for my collection. :pinch:

67RALLY: Used to donate Aviation Pilot rates to other collectors and more often than not they never acknowledge receipt of them until I either mailed them a registered letter with a return receipt which had to sign for and followed up with a long-distance telephone-call and they seemed disinterested at best and bothered I called them, maybe from the dining room table at their dinner? Most never wrote and I had more to send them if I knew they were still interested? They cheated themselves out of more free stuff by not communicating. They seem more apt to be repeat customers for those who charge them a "pretty penny," so it seems? Maybe they do not like getting rarities at no cost, like a caged large cat, i.e., lions and tigers, tossed freshed meat they pretend to kill it or seem less interested because they did not hunt and kill their game food, seems I must have taken the enjoy of the "hunt" for a rare rate, perhaps? Seldom did someone write and ask if I still had the items I illustrated for the A.S.M.I.C. "Trading Post," when they wrote, I would send them whatever it was if I still had possession of it. Mopst of the older collectors whom I stay in touch with get "burned out" from people who want to acquire actual insignia or information on it, failt to follow up! Same with "Crow's Nest" newsletters I mailed free to others, after a time I shut the operation down as there was less and less feedback. You can find it at: http://picasaweb.google.com/booker1942?feat=email (Booker's Free Web Library). I have been contributing pictures, CD disks, insignia, etc., more than 40 years - surely they can ask others who mayve have rememered me and could vouch I speak the truth! I do not want anything in rturn and never accept money, not even costs of postage - my email is at [email protected] and seldom do one get 2 or 3 emails a week at most - if you GOOGLE my name: Herbert Hillary Booker 2nd or as Sarge Booker, you'll find my name and submissions on many pages, like those at http://www.scribd.com and at http://www.archive.org/ too, over 4,500 PDF books and illustrations and pictures of uniforms and insignia, go see for yourselves! Most cannot remember a time after World War Two when service men and women gave young people free insignia - not everything bears a price tag! Some still trade too! :rolleyes: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California :think:

post-837-1297821151.jpg

Wow that is something else, free rates. I Have shelled out hundred if not thousands on rates. I built myself up a very nice collection, especially out of pilot rates, ones I thought I would never get. I love history, and am very happy to own pieces of military history. I myself would love to have these items for free, it makes me shutter that people actually did not reply when faced with free rating badges.

• 1 month later...

Put this riker mount together to show APPRENTICE PETTY OFFICER RATING BADGES and some others. The S & knot patches, not sure if they were ever i.d. I know someone had them list as sampson apprentice ?? But I'm not sure.

post-2501-1301841506.jpg

Jason

Put this riker mount together to show APPRENTICE PETTY OFFICER RATING BADGES and some others. The S & knot patches, not sure if they were ever i.d. I know someone had them list as sampson apprentice ?? But I'm not sure.

post-2501-1301841506.jpg

Jason

While I have no idea what the "S" insignia actually is, I recently saw it worn on the uniform in a period photo in a book about the '45 Typhoon.

Steve Hesson

post-2501-1301841506.jpg

Jason

Very nice collection Jason. I have been looking for a WAVES seersucker Apprentice CPO rate and this is the first one that I've seen. Now I know that they do exist.

-Fritz