(1886-2008) Mustang Guy's Navy Rate Collection

hhbooker2

Very nice collection Jason. I have been looking for a WAVES seersucker Apprentice CPO rate and this is the first one that I've seen. Now I know that they do exist.

-Fritz

Thanks Fritz,

Yeah, I haven't been able to find another. Dan wants one also and I'll put you on the list too in case I find some more.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
67RALLY: Used to donate Aviation Pilot rates to other collectors and more often than not they never acknowledge receipt of them until I either mailed them a registered letter with a return receipt which had to sign for and followed up with a long-distance telephone-call and they seemed disinterested at best and bothered I called them, maybe from the dining room table at their dinner? Most never wrote and I had more to send them if I knew they were still interested? They cheated themselves out of more free stuff by not communicating. They seem more apt to be repeat customers for those who charge them a "pretty penny," so it seems? Maybe they do not like getting rarities at no cost, like a caged large cat, i.e., lions and tigers, tossed freshed meat they pretend to kill it or seem less interested because they did not hunt and kill their game food, seems I must have taken the enjoy of the "hunt" for a rare rate, perhaps? Seldom did someone write and ask if I still had the items I illustrated for the A.S.M.I.C. "Trading Post," when they wrote, I would send them whatever it was if I still had possession of it. Mopst of the older collectors whom I stay in touch with get "burned out" from people who want to acquire actual insignia or information on it, failt to follow up! Same with "Crow's Nest" newsletters I mailed free to others, after a time I shut the operation down as there was less and less feedback. You can find it at: http://picasaweb.google.com/booker1942?feat=email (Booker's Free Web Library). I have been contributing pictures, CD disks, insignia, etc., more than 40 years - surely they can ask others who mayve have rememered me and could vouch I speak the truth! I do not want anything in rturn and never accept money, not even costs of postage - my email is at [email protected] and seldom do one get 2 or 3 emails a week at most - if you GOOGLE my name: Herbert Hillary Booker 2nd or as Sarge Booker, you'll find my name and submissions on many pages, like those at http://www.scribd.com and at http://www.archive.org/ too, over 4,500 PDF books and illustrations and pictures of uniforms and insignia, go see for yourselves! Most cannot remember a time after World War Two when service men and women gave young people free insignia - not everything bears a price tag! Some still trade too! :rolleyes: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California :think:

I realized that I haven't been back to this thread to respond to you.

I appreciate the actions you have taken with other folks and a few people of done similar things for me. I am appreciative of the generosity of anyone who is willing to stick themselves out there in order to get guys like me or the younger kids interested in this area of collecting. Had you sent anything like this to me, you'd have been thanked profusely as I am a nut when it comes to acknowledgement of gifts. I also like to give in this same vein and it is very nice to hear gratitude.

Cheers!

Pick this one up a week or two ago.

1ST CLASS ENLISTED PILOT RATE

Jason

That is a stunning rate! As you know, I was watching that auction with interest to see how high it would go...glad you got it!

That is a stunning rate! As you know, I was watching that auction with interest to see how high it would go...glad you got it!

Thanks, Yeah it went pretty high but I had to have it.

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings & Salutations! What is the word on this Draftsman/Illustrator rate without chevrons below? When was it used and why? Ever seen anything like this? Thanks! Sarge Booker ([email protected])

post-837-1309566880.jpg

This is a new one I picked up. Somewhat scarce in green.

I love it, that is some especially handsome embroidery on the specialty mark. I'm assuming an Aviation Photographer's Mate c. 1950, rather than the later 1990s winged mark for PH?

Thanks for posting,

Justin B.

This is a new one I picked up. Somewhat scarce in green.

-Fritz

post-1466-1309710171.jpg

Thanks Fritz,

That's a nice one you got. I have a bullion one in khaki, I think.

Jason

I love it, that is some especially handsome embroidery on the specialty mark. I'm assuming an Aviation Photographer's Mate c. 1950, rather than the later 1990s winged mark for PH?

Thanks for posting,

Justin B.

Thanks Justin and Jason. You are correct Jason in that this rating was established in 1948 and was fully merged into Photographer's Mate in 1953.

-Fritz

Greetings & Salutations! Howard L. Turk of Lancaster, New York sent me a black and white xerox of the obverse and reverse of a rate for a chief petty officer that was described as an "Officer Steward." It is marked "1943) on the back and has a crescent moon with a bar below. Here is the viewed side! Sarge Booker of Tujunga :w00t:

post-837-1309977392.jpg

Greetings & Salutations! Here is the other side of that rate. :think:

post-837-1309977448.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

WW1 printer's cpo rating badges. The guy I bought these from had his cpo badge and two gold oversea's chevrons. I just hope he was not the one who strip the uniforms.

post-2501-0-80496700-1362180315.jpgpost-2501-0-83004000-1362180314.jpg

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...

yes, took a break and sold off most of my uniform collection. Have the insignia collection yet and actually bought a rate the other week. So I guess I am back buying rating badges that I need.

• 2 weeks later...