(1886-2008) Mustang Guy's Navy Rate Collection

hhbooker2

Next is a 3rd class pre ww2 pharmacist mate. This one is on a appron that the salior probably made. This has two of these rate along with a gun pointer and the name of the ship he was on. I don't remember the name of the ship. If you guys would like to see more pictures of this appron let me know.

post-2501-1239406999.jpg

Jason

Next is a 3rd class pre ww2 pharmacist mate. This one is on a appron that the salior probably made. This has two of these rate along with a gun pointer and the name of the ship he was on. I don't remember the name of the ship. If you guys would like to see more pictures of this appron let me know.

post-2501-1239406999.jpg

Jason

The aprons were made by wives or girlfriends as a project. Since most lived in the tsame port city, they would band together (much like today) for support while the ships were gone. These were the sorts of things they would do when they got together. Generally, the apron was a neckerchief, and the "ties" were a captally. Often the crows were used as pockets and other insignial was added at the makers discretion. Generally, the added extra insignia was something that the Sailor rated, but not always, sometimes, if the maker saw something she liked, she would put it on, after all, it was for her to wear anyway. Many of these have lots of intricate embroidery around the deges and on the apron.

You see these things going back to atleast WW1. Of course, you see the ships name cap tallies die out after 1940, although that tally was used commonly from 1883 to 1963, There was at one time a bar in Norfolk VA. where all the waitress' wore these.

Eventually, these fall out of favor. They were at first replaces with vests in the 1950s. They had most of the features of these aprons, nautical/Navy embroidery, rating badges and such. While some were black, you see many red. That seemed to be the new color.

I think that these stopped being made mostly becaust the wives stopped being stay at home types. I know that was the case with my Mom (Navy Wife 1950-1967). She started one of the vests, but never finished it as she had a job, and never was that active in the wives club.

Steve Hesson

Eventually, yo

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information, I find these interesting. I have 3 or 4 of these. Here's more pics of this one.

The hat tally is the USS HUNTINGTON.

post-2501-1239546352.jpg

Jason

Here's another appron. Has a pre ww2 Boastwain Mate 2nd class as a pocket. Has USS Aeolus cap tally as the tie string.

post-2501-1239547246.jpg

Jason

Close up of tally and rating badge.

post-2501-1239547336.jpg post-2501-1239547346.jpg

Jason

Yeah, these are pretty cool. I've seen some that had a left facing and a right facing crow of the same rate as pockets. That is neat.

Steve

I found some more of these approns in my closet.

First one has two pre ww2 first class cooks as pockets and USS MELVILLE as the tie string.

post-2501-1239655203.jpg post-2501-1239655231.jpg

Jason

Fritz,

That's a nice looking cpo thumbsup.gif

Jason

Thanks Jason. I have been looking for any WAVE CPO Pharmacist Mate for awhile, especially a seersucker one. I never thought I would find a reserve blue one.

-fritz

Here's a new one for the collection.

Master-at-arms 3rd class. The rate looks more of the 1905 style than the earlier rates.

post-2501-1240601028.jpg

Jason

Hi,

Here some more links to my different albums on snapfish. You have to join to view the albums, but it's free and fast to do so. I didn't get a chance to label everything yet, sorry. My ww2 link is on this thread somewhere.

Pre ww2 rates

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/Al...67/t_=130092367

Post ww2 rates and insignia

WW2 and post ww2 insignia,patches

Jason