(1886-2008) Mustang Guy's Navy Rate Collection

hhbooker2

yes, took a break and sold off most of my uniform collection. Have the insignia collection yet and actually bought a rate the other week. So I guess I am back buying rating badges that I need.

Oh no, more competition ;-)

Welcome back.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
David Minton

Hmm, someone mess up a USCG Port Security badge? Otherwise, unauthorized Shore Patrol? This is a new one for me.

Yeah, guessing this one falls into  the rates that were made before they were authorized by regs. Working on a riker mount with such rates and strikers.  He had this listed as a "US Navy 1st Class Petty Steam Propulsionman Rate, WWII, World War II, WW2". Not sure were he got that info at.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a lot of right shoulder aviation rates navyman. As a rate collector, you've got to love those. The aviation quartermaster and rigger rates are just amazing and not that easy to find. Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, 0bx said:

That's a lot of right shoulder aviation rates navyman. As a rate collector, you've got to love those. The aviation quartermaster and rigger rates are just amazing and not that easy to find. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, it seem like there easier found on white. I personally found that the aviation rigger rates are far more rarer then the aviation quartermaster rates even though they were shorter lived.

I think there were only 3 aviation rates during ww1. You had aviation Carpenter's mate,  aviation Machinist's mate, and Aviation Quartermaster.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:46 PM, navyman said:

Never seen this one before. 1416224016_20200515_205712_resize_14(1).jpg.501fa1f851667594eb9c4a56b7f6bc62.jpg

I have been on here sporadically and didn't see that you returned, Jason! You can't make a clean break, can you?

I have one or two of these. I got them from a long-time navy rate collector who was a retired CPO (he retired in the 1970s). Mine is/are on the lightweight cotton.

32 minutes ago, 67Rally said:

I have been on here sporadically and didn't see that you returned, Jason! You can't make a clean break, can you?

I have one or two of these. I got them from a long-time navy rate collector who was a retired CPO (he retired in the 1970s). Mine is/are on the lightweight cotton.

Did he mention what they were for by chance?  Yeah, i have buying a few rates lately.  I have my insignia collection yet and some uniforms and helmets and other navy things. Just down size a lot. 

23 minutes ago, navyman said:

Did he mention what they were for by chance?  Yeah, i have buying a few rates lately.  I have my insignia collection yet and some uniforms and helmets and other navy things. Just down size a lot. 

No. He couldn't. He passed away a few years before I inherited the collection. I went to high school with his daughter and she saw my collection at a public display and contacted me to ask me if I would be interested in looking at her father's collection of hundreds of rating badges ranging from the 30s-60s. Of course, I took them.

7 hours ago, navyman said:

Also, I landed a navy group that should arrive in tomorrow's mail that has me on edge. It took over a month to nail down and it finally was sent this week. I can't rest until it lands. 

Congrats on your return. Are you changing your focus at all?

24 minutes ago, 67Rally said:

Also, I landed a navy group that should arrive in tomorrow's mail that has me on edge. It took over a month to nail down and it finally was sent this week. I can't rest until it lands. 

Congrats on your return. Are you changing your focus at all?

Thanks,

Just probably going to buy sea service's insignia, but i do collect ww2 German but mostly edge weapons. Also buy some graded  comics a few times a year, marvel key issue's. Usually buy a few items of each a year.   Curious to what you have coming.

3 hours ago, navyman said:

Thanks,

Just probably going to buy sea service's insignia, but i do collect ww2 German but mostly edge weapons. Also buy some graded  comics a few times a year, marvel key issue's. Usually buy a few items of each a year.   Curious to what you have coming.

Sounds good for you re-entering the insignia game. I have some TR edged weapons but that really isn't my thing. The items are my uncle's bringbacks.

I will share the new items after I get them photographed (provided they arrive safely).

• 3 months later...

Hi Navy Man, Is it Dan?  Sorry, I can't keep Dan, Jason, Justin, Fritz, etc. straight.  I just revisited this thread and was excited to see your CPO Aviation Rigger on May 28 and your comment May 29 re. the rarity of this rate on blue CPO.  I was thinking about which specialty / rate combination is the most rare and I would think this one rates up there with your PO1 Gun Captain on blue.  Do others have an example of the CPO Avn. Rigger on blue in their collection?  I do have it on white.  Thanks for showing them!  If you ever want to turn loose of it. . . well, you know.

Dennie

Hi Navy Man, Is it Dan?  Sorry, I can't keep Dan, Jason, Justin, Fritz, etc. straight.  I just revisited this thread and was excited to see your CPO Aviation Rigger on May 28 and your comment May 29 re. the rarity of this rate on blue CPO.  I was thinking about which specialty / rate combination is the most rare and I would think this one rates up there with your PO1 Gun Captain on blue.  Do others have an example of the CPO Avn. Rigger on blue in their collection?  I do have it on white.  Thanks for showing them!  If you ever want to turn loose of it. . . well, you know.
Dennie

Of 20th century ratings, I have heard the WWII era Chief Airship Rigger (not bullion) is among the rarest.

Of the Chief Quartermaster Aviation and Aviation Rigger, while scarce are obtainable, particularly in white. I believe I have four of the former, and one of the latter myself.
4c734fb9782857bb33976564ae290bd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree, the Airship Rigger is traditionally thought to be the toughest to find.  But you do see them from time to time.  I don't recall seeing the Aviation Rigger CPO on blue anywhere until Jason posted his wonderful pre-1941 right arm Avn. spread.  But then I haven't seen a lot of collections either.  How about the Airship Rigger CPO on blue?  I don't recall seeing that one as well. 

I would agree, the Airship Rigger is traditionally thought to be the toughest to find.  But you do see them from time to time.  I don't recall seeing the Aviation Rigger CPO on blue anywhere until Jason posted his wonderful pre-1941 right arm Avn. spread.  But then I haven't seen a lot of collections either.  How about the Airship Rigger CPO on blue?  I don't recall seeing that one as well. 

I’m not in the same league with some of the others in this forum as I’m a dedicated bargain shopper. It takes me a lot longer, but have gotten some nice prices eventually. I believe I have seen the Aviation Riggers and Quartermaster Aviation in blue, but beyond my spending threshold I have imposed on myself. I don’t believe I have ever seen a Chief Airship Rigger for sale, but I buy almost exclusively from eBay or my local military show, while I assume really rare patches change hands at large shows or private transactions between known parties. While I think I’m pretty knowledgeable at this point, I’m hesitant to spend more than I would really regret in case I got a bad patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel very fortunate to have found this rare item a while back.  Came from overseas and was described as a Petty Officer 1st Class.  It is gray cotton twill by Lion Bros., new condition.

Dennie

Airship Rigger CPO on gray Liona web large.jpg

Airship Rigger CPO back web large.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2020 at 7:43 PM, busternfo said:

I feel very fortunate to have found this rare item a while back.  Came from overseas and was described as a Petty Officer 1st Class.  It is gray cotton twill by Lion Bros., new condition.

Dennie

Airship Rigger CPO on gray Liona web large.jpg

Airship Rigger CPO back web large.jpg

Excellent find.

-dan

Thanks Dan,  At first look, I could not believe what I was seeing!  And, it is my favorite maker too.  You know the saying, Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. 

• 8 months later...

Bought a lot of patches on ebay recently and is a forum member. I wanted this ww2 cpo Aviation parachute rigger on blue felt. It looks like a tailor had turn this from a first class to a cpo. They did a really good job. You don't see these cpo on blue often or ww2 era any way.

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

• 2 years later...