Can you help me with an ID on this rate?

Chris

I just acquired a few nice rates. There is a story on the back of the frame that these came in, and I am still trying to decipher it because it's faded and slightly water damaged. But it seems to state that these rates were produced by a maker and submitted to the U.S. government, but were rejected due to "wing detail". If interesting, I will share that when I finally get it figured out. But can anyone tell me what this is? The MOS and period? The chevrons are mothed, but it is a full size rate. The khaki base material is 5.5" x 4-1/8". Good quality embroidery. Thanks for any help!

post-5831-0-92940800-1491096120.jpg

post-5831-0-48148100-1491096144.jpg

post-5831-0-27096200-1491096167.jpg

The top white one that looks like Gun Capt is a middy rate, The coast guard Master at arms look good ,the one with the apprentice mark has a story but I have not found anything to date Wonder if it was worn at a training station before they went to standardized small rates I do not know I however have one but do not keep it with my rate collection, I have never seen it on on a middy jumper ?????

MastersMate

The CG rating badge should be on white material. It is the Master at Arms, actually a petty officer of the first class. It was first used in the 1908 Revenue Cutter Service and when that service rolled into the present day Coast Guard, it continued in the Cutter Branch of the service. The Master at Arms was eliminated in May 1920 and changed into the Chief Commissary Steward..

The eagles on the middy and apprentice look 1920's maybe late WW1 but I doubt it. Th CG rate looks like a white rate that is aged and dirty.

The rate with the "Figure 8" knot is a "Recruit Chief Petty Officer" these were worn by the senior recruit in each company. There were also PO3-PO1. They were also used at technical training schools and stations as students were organized into companies with other students assigned to positions of authority. They were removed upon graduation. I'm. It sure when they switched to the smaller size. I do have a 1943 dated RPO2 that is the smaller size. These rates were always worn o the right sleeve, including after 1948 when all rating badges were shifted to the left sleeve. This was done as non POs wore nothing on their sleeves and recruits were all "Apprentice Seamen", thus Deck Ratings. After 1948 they continued on the right as E-1 to E-3 then wore stripes on the left sleeve.

These rates were dropped (IIRC), in 1973(ish)

MastersMate

Browsing through again and have a question concerning the Master at Arms rating badge. It concerns the direction the eagle is facing. The 1915 Coast Guard uniform regulations illustrate the eagle facing in that direction. The few photos that show both the RCS and early 1915-1920 rating badges show the eagle facing in the opposite (USN) direction.

Looking at the CG enlisted uniform regulations for 1915 and 1922, the illustrations are probably reversed by the printing office.

You guys have been collecting these for a while. Any consensus on which way the eagle should be facing during that 7 year period ??

• 11 months later...