2-piece screw-back U.S. Army gilt buttons

Hi there,

Has anyone here ever seen the 2-piece screw-back U.S. Army gilt uniform buttons that have screw backs? I have seen lots of collar insignia that is screw-back, but I came across what I believe to be a pre-WW2 Kansas National Guard uniform today in an Army surplus store that has the 2-piece gilt buttons, with EVERY button on the uniform being screw-back to secure it to the uniform. Rather than having the loops on the buttons that allowed them to be sewn on, these are more like posts with a brass cover that screws on on the inside of the uniform. There is no post that sticks out on the inside of the uniform -- the brass cover screws over the threads to secure the button to the uniform and make it flush with the fabric on the inside of the uniform. Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Regards,

Nick

"God almighty, in a few short hours we will be in battle with the enemy. We do not join battle afraid. We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if You will, use us as Your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We ask only this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die, without complaining, without pleading and safe in the feeling that we have done our best for what we believed was right. Oh Lord, protect our loved ones and be near us in the fire ahead and with us now as we pray to you."

All were silent for two minutes as the men were left, each with his individual thoughts. Then the colonel ordered, "Move out."

-Lt. Col. Robert L. Wolverton

Commander, 3rd Battalion, 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division -- On the eve of the D-day Invasion, 5 June 1944

I'll post some tomorrow. I'm undecided on if I want to purchase the uniform or not, and am going back tomorrow to have another look. I think I'll take the plunge as it's only $40 and considering that I've never seen buttons like these before. I'll post photos as soon as I can take some.

"God almighty, in a few short hours we will be in battle with the enemy. We do not join battle afraid. We do not ask favors or indulgence but ask that, if You will, use us as Your instrument for the right and an aid in returning peace to the world. We do not know or seek what our fate will be. We ask only this, that if die we must, that we die as men would die, without complaining, without pleading and safe in the feeling that we have done our best for what we believed was right. Oh Lord, protect our loved ones and be near us in the fire ahead and with us now as we pray to you."

All were silent for two minutes as the men were left, each with his individual thoughts. Then the colonel ordered, "Move out."

Commander, 3rd Battalion, 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division -- On the eve of the D-day Invasion, 5 June 1944

I'll post some tomorrow. I'm undecided on if I want to purchase the uniform or not, and am going back tomorrow to have another look. I think I'll take the plunge as it's only $40 and considering that I've never seen buttons like these before. I'll post photos as soon as I can take some.

Yeah it sounds like a very interesting piece.

A question, you didn't mention that it had say the 35th Division (the division that Kansas NG units were found in), so does one of those discs have a KS on it which leads you to believe it's a Kansas NG coat?

It doesn't have any of the DI's on the collar, but it actually has a cut-edge "sunflower" patch (which, after a short search I determined to be Kansas National Guard). The thing is, I don't know if the patch itself is pre-war or post-war (by the looks of it it's pre-war or WW2, judging by the cut-edge design), and from my understanding from other posts on this forum, that patch was not active during World War 2 as the KS NG units were absorbed into U.S. Army units. The uniform itself is the khaki U.S. Army Officer's uniform with the cuff braid. The fabric is right for it to be an early piece and it is in immaculate shape for the age. There is a tag inside for name and date but it is not filled out. There is a name written inside "Lt. Caudel" with a serial number of K31454. I do have a couple of photos of the uniform itself so I'll post those to this response to see what you think. I'll post photos of the buttons tomorrow. You can vaguely see them in these photos, but once they are resized for posting, I don't know if they'll be crisp enough to see the buttons in detail. Have a look and see what you think. I've been collecting for 10 years and this one has me puzzled.

post-151255-0-71803600-1491100432_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-12483200-1491100513_thumb.jpeg

post-151255-0-14462400-1491100531_thumb.jpeg

I thought you were talking about both discs and buttons, I was so confused :lol:

Well now that we see the pictures, what you have there is a 1950s 1960s worn tailor made officers Khaki coat (coat could of been made in the 40s), that patch is for the Headquarters Kansas National Guard http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/Heraldry.aspx?HeraldryId=14784&CategoryId=8841&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services&ps=24&p=0

Those buttons, are somewhat typical on private purchase dress items from I guess back to the 30s up till??, maybe as late as the 70s.

Thanks so much Patches! I was nearly certain that it was a WW2 or pre-WW2 khaki dress uniform. Thanks so much for pointing out that it was from the 1950's! Even after years of collecting I'm still learning new things every day. I'm not nearly as familiar with the khaki uniforms as I am with OD uniforms. I appreciate your help so much, and I will willingly pass on acquiring this uniform. Thanks again for your help. You have helped more than you know!

Best Regards,

Nick