We are not alone in this fight against H.R.544

tarbridge

Great response and good read, I think most all of us who collect militaria feel this way about this bill and government over reach.

ParanormalTrooper

Good read, thanks for sharing.

He definitely makes some valid points and I like that he told his own personal story with his great uncles medals.

Very well written. The best representation of the irrational nature, and unintended consequences, of the Bill that I have read to date.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

I have a personal story that relates to this stupid bill. A member of our local VVA fell on really hard times, and was about to loose his house. I was there shooting the breeze, and Rich comes up to me. He says I know you collect military stuff, I need to sell my stuff from the war. Told him ok, it wasn't my area, (heck did two tours there, and it wasn't THAT long ago, ok, maybe it was! lol) I knew a local guy, a retired Army WO who collected Nam stuff. Rich had been a stick gunner in country, and had three hearts as a result. And, he saved everything! Well, long story short, I hooked them up, and my buddy gave Rich four times what I thought retail. Case of a vet helping another vet, plus a collector being a good egg, which I've found most collectors are. As a result, Rich didn't loose his house. Now, we are doing the VA disability fight, your prayers will be greatly appreciated! lol He never applied!

Moral here if this stupid law passes, a decorated vet couldn't dispose of items he earned, and would of lost his house. And, I'll bet most of these elected idiots supporting this never did a day in a uniform.

My .02,

John

Moral here if this stupid law passes, a decorated vet couldn't dispose of items he earned, and would of lost his house. And, I'll bet most of these elected idiots supporting this never did a day in a uniform.

Thanks for sharing that anecdote. One of the more recent cosponsors (Seth Moulton) is from the Congressional district next to mine. He is a decorated Marine officer with a Bronze Star, so I was hoping he would have a different view on the matter, but apparently not.

That is a really well written article. I hope it gets some visibility with the members of Congress who are currently co-sponsors of the bill.

Kurt

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Thanks for sharing that anecdote. One of the more recent cosponsors (Seth Moulton) is from the Congressional district next to mine. He is a decorated Marine officer with a Bronze Star, so I was hoping he would have a different view on the matter, but apparently not.

Yeah, you think a vet would understand. He could be looking at the buying and selling part while forgetting that sometimes folks fall on hard times and sell things that they normally wouldn't just to make ends meet.

Very well written. I too hope this quietly disappears, thanks for sharing Rob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Robert,

Thanks..... didn't know the VFW and Purple Heart were involved. I'm calling both today and opting out of both organizations. Apparently, both have their heads buried somewhere south.......

Still worth contacting him if you know anyone in his district. Many times, it's their staffers (whose average age is about 24) that run the show behind the scenes. With everything going on in Congress right now, I have a high level of doubt that many of the bill's co-sponsors have even read through it, let alone considered the unintended consequences.

I had a 45-minute talk to two of the house majority leader's staffers on Tuesday (he's my congressman). One initially agreed with me; the other didn't. After showing them some of the Purple Hearts I have here in my office, and then some of the stories behind the ones in my book(s), I am very confident both were on our side. Do note that "our" side wasn't that of being collectors and adding something neat to the collection. The discussion was about how many Gold Star families can't have the medals around anymore (I've interviewed many for my book) because of the memories and the emotions around them. Why make them criminals? As I said (and as they wrote down) doing such is nothing short of un-American.

The same can be said for the FBI's enforcement of the law - with everything going on these days from terrorism to skyrocketing drug use - how are they realistically going to enforce the prevention of the sale of 1.8 million (and more) Purple Hearts? The idea is nothing short of nutty.

They did take notes of our meeting and both e-mailed me independently that they sent their notes to the DC office the following day. So we'll see.

Wharfmaster

This is a much bigger issue than just Purple Hearts. When the Government starts telling us what we can or can not do with

our own personal property, we are in big trouble. Where does it end ? Doesn't the Constitution protect us from this sort of thing ?

This issue should be reported to the ACLU and reviewed at once.

Wharf

Robert,

Thanks..... didn't know the VFW and Purple Heart were involved. I'm calling both today and opting out of both organizations. Apparently, both have their heads buried somewhere south.......

Is the Legion in on this too?

aerialbridge

At the steps in the legislative process where there are hearings on this bill, there will hopefully be equal time given to competent spokesmen AGAINST it who will be able to raise all the points that have been raised in the many threads here. And if it makes it to the full house and senate for a vote, hopefully there will be some legislator(s) with the guts to stand up and ARGUE against it for all the reasons stated in threads here. I would guess there are a grand total of zero politicians in DC who have publicly voiced any opposition to this.....bill. And it will take guts for ANY politician to publicly oppose this......bill. Which starts with getting past the 24 year olds that Dave mentioned. I've had the great pleasure of dealing with a few of them.

http://congress.org/advocacy-101/the-legislative-process/

Is the Legion in on this too?

I don't know for sure but they do use the American Legion Halls for the "return" ceremonies.