M1 carbine USAF history question

Bluehawk

"Actually, we fired 100 rounds, not ten, from various positions - prone, sitting, standing, etc. The reason Air Force basics were required to quality with the carbine was because it was the Air Force's standard weapon until the adoption of the M-16 in 1964. The Air Force adopted the carbine because it was lightweight and much less bulky than the M-1 and could be more easily carried by aircrews, who were the Air Force's combat troops. I went through basic in the summer of 1963. After technical training, I went to Pope AFB, NC where I qualified with the M-16 when it was introduced. Later that year, I went on flying status as an aircrew member (loadmaster) and was required to carry an M-16 as well as a pistol on all missions in SEA. Carbines were phased out as M-16s came in."

VERY helpful, thank you!

At age 17 in 1963, and 73+ today, my memory was or is not the best. But, I do NOT recall firing 100 rounds of anything at the range. I do recall being handed one 10-round clip and told to fire at the target. Nor was I ever issued any other weapon when being sent to permanent party.

It could be that the year 1963 was FULL of transitions of many kinds for the USAF? I didn't really start to even begin comprehending the significance of it all until well into my late life.

Many years later, by a very circuitous route, I learned from the daughter of my TI, AND from an OCS officer who had served under the man in BMT, that he was not the finest specimen. Maybe that accounts for the 10-round clip? For sure, I would remember firing 100 rounds.

To have played ANY part in the entire undertaking remains, to this day, a respectable point of honor.

It was definitely 100 rounds. I was also 17 in 1963 and remember the firearms training very well because I had grown up with firearms and was/am a crack shot and was very interested in the carbine. We had a day of classroom work where we learned how to break the weapon down and practiced dry firing in the various positions then went to the range the next day and fired for qualification. Our TI's weren't our instructors. We had small arms instructors in charge of it. Later on I qualified with the M-16, .38 and .45 and it was the same with each one. The problem with the carbines at Lackland was that they were worn out after having thousands of rounds fired through the barrels.

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2019 at 10:45 AM, Bluehawk said:

"Actually, we fired 100 rounds, not ten, from various positions - prone, sitting, standing, etc. The reason Air Force basics were required to quality with the carbine was because it was the Air Force's standard weapon until the adoption of the M-16 in 1964. The Air Force adopted the carbine because it was lightweight and much less bulky than the M-1 and could be more easily carried by aircrews, who were the Air Force's combat troops. I went through basic in the summer of 1963. After technical training, I went to Pope AFB, NC where I qualified with the M-16 when it was introduced. Later that year, I went on flying status as an aircrew member (loadmaster) and was required to carry an M-16 as well as a pistol on all missions in SEA. Carbines were phased out as M-16s came in."

VERY helpful, thank you!

At age 17 in 1963, and 73+ today, my memory was or is not the best. But, I do NOT recall firing 100 rounds of anything at the range. I do recall being handed one 10-round clip and told to fire at the target. Nor was I ever issued any other weapon when being sent to permanent party.

It could be that the year 1963 was FULL of transitions of many kinds for the USAF? I
didn't really start to even begin comprehending the significance of it all until well into my late life.

Many years later, by a very circuitous route, I learned from the daughter of my TI, AND from an OCS officer who had served under the man in BMT, that he was not the finest specimen. Maybe that accounts for the 10-round clip? For sure, I would remember firing 100 rounds.

To have played ANY part in the entire undertaking remains, to this day, a respectable point of honor.

We definitely fired 100 rounds, the first ten to sight in the rifle then 10 rounds each in prone, sitting, kneeling and standing positions. The following year I qualified with the M-16 at Pope AFB, NC.  Same thing - 100 rounds after learning how to break the rifle down for cleaning. The difference was that we fired at a silhouette rather than the standard target. Because I was assigned to aircrew duty, I also qualified with the .38 and .45, 100 rounds each. Later on I had to qualify with the .38 snub nose with birdshot in wax bullets for use on airplanes (I was on C-5s).  1963 wasn't so much a transition as 1964-65 were. SAC stopped airborne alerts and TAC became the primary command. MATS was replaced by MAC and started getting jets. The fun began in 1965 when LBJ sent combat troops to SEA and the Air Force opened bases all over South Vietnam and Thailand. 

Yuri Bezmenov

My uncle was in the AF stationed in Thailand in '71 and '72 during Vietnam. He did something with radio equipment at an air field. When I was younger, I asked him what "cool weapons" he got to use "over there". He said he had one day of training with a 1911A1 .45 ACP and never fired a weapon again during his entire enlistment. 

I used to own a Smith and Wesson Model 15-3. I think it dated to 1976. It wasn't a USAF pistol but I wish it had been because I probably wouldn't have sold it. 

m15.jpg