13th FIS

Delta Dagger

Looks like a good 1960's era US made patch. I've seen similar backings on dated Boy Scout patches from that time.

Gotta be really careful with FIS patches as Aero Emblem had many of them reproduced in the 1990's on the original machines. Not sure about this one.

-Ski

Gotta be really careful with FIS patches as Aero Emblem had many of them reproduced in the 1990's on the original machines. Not sure about this one.

-Ski

Aeroemblem sold the reproductions, but did not have them made. IIRC Aeroemblem was upfront that these were repros. The were done by an old Nordco employee in the 80s. These are done very cheaply, you can see right though them and there are tons of synthetic threads on the backs along with a large, loose cheesecloth. Some that I can recall off the top of my head: 2,13, 29, 60, 93, 95, 431, 440, 497 FIS, 417 FBS, 334 TFS, 327 BS. There are others. If I remember I'll post a couple here.

The 13 FIS above looks good.

Randy

Aeroemblem sold the reproductions, but did not have them made. IIRC Aeroemblem was upfront that these were repros. The were done by an old Nordco employee in the 80s. These are done very cheaply, you can see right though them and there are tons of synthetic threads on the backs along with a large, loose cheesecloth. Some that I can recall off the top of my head: 2,13, 29, 60, 93, 95, 431, 440, 497 FIS, 417 FBS, 334 TFS, 327 BS. There are others. If I remember I'll post a couple here.

The 13 FIS above looks good.

Randy

I dunno about that. I have seen the 95th and patches they made and they look pretty accurate. The thing that kills them are the synthetic threads and they are rather floppy. I will have to search one out.....

-Ski

I dunno about that. I have seen the 95th and patches they made and they look pretty accurate. The thing that kills them are the synthetic threads and they are rather floppy. I will have to search one out.....

-Ski

Yes, they look accurate, especially from the front, as they were done from original punch cards with a Schiffli machine. then you flip them over and go "Whoa". Here's a 80s era 431 FIS. Look at all that Synthetic thread. I glows without a black light!

Randy

post-8832-0-52049000-1490980788.jpg

And since I'm a packrat here's a page from an Aeroemblem catalog in the 90s clearly describing these. I was around when these hit the market in the late 80s, and then they were being sold as repros. Funny thing was the ones Rosen did were some of the most common ones, but I don't know his reasoning there. The 13th above looks like it doesn't have all those threads in it, but again it's hard to see without holding it. Most really jump out at you. You could try the dreaded burn test and see if those white threads melt.

Randy

post-8832-0-56771800-1490981596_thumb.jpg

Interesting that the 13th is illustrated....... I don't have a warm fuzzy about it. I wish I could find that 95th patch. It is somewhere around here. Its construction reminds me of the 13th shown above.

-Ski

Oops, now I see the disconnect. I wanted to say it was bad, not good in the first post! That's what happens when I sneak on at work. I thought Ski was questioning the source of these. All the ones I listed should be looked at carefully. And Gil, you're right. Back then you could find the originals for less than what he was selling them for. Again, you can see the large cheesecloth on the back of the twill one, and the tons of synthetic fiber on the FE one. I have a couple more I can post if interested. Sorry for the confusion above!

Randy

Oops, now I see the disconnect. I wanted to say it was bad, not good in the first post! That's what happens when I sneak on at work. I thought Ski was questioning the source of these. All the ones I listed should be looked at carefully. And Gil, you're right. Back then you could find the originals for less than what he was selling them for. Again, you can see the large cheesecloth on the back of the twill one, and the tons of synthetic fiber on the FE one. I have a couple more I can post if interested. Sorry for the confusion above!

Randy

Alright, that answers that! Whew!

-Ski

Yes, again I need to proof read stuff! Here's an example of real vs. repro. Good one fro the 50s at top, repro from 80s at bottom.

Randy

post-8832-0-78332000-1491101740_thumb.jpg