River Rats Patch

smwinter207

Your second set of pics is a US made one, probably done by the RR as they have been selling these since the late 60s. As far as the variation in lettering style, since the first ones were done in Thailand and later all over Asia, there are a million variations out there. I have several and none of them are the same. Here's another Thai made one, with a lightning bolt "s".

Randy

post-8832-0-17025800-1491478117.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's not Japanese made, it's older US style. These were the first ones produced by the RRVFPA, and sold to the members. Here it is in more detail.

Randy

post-8832-0-75131300-1492310776.jpg

post-8832-0-69568200-1492310793.jpg

Hate to say, but your "good source" is incorrect. I know that site and there are several other things stated there I don't feel are accurate either. I have this exact type of patch, it is 100% US Schiffli made. If you look at your original post, the patch in the inset pic has a typical Schiffli mistake, the V in River is not filled in. Also, the "fuzzies" around the letting borders are another trait.

Randy

smwinter207

How do we account for two party suits at the AF museum having these similar patches? Same cut edge and blue border. Did they bring them from the US?

Possible they added the patch later after a tour or between tours.

This said I have mentioned before a group I have to a Son Tay Raider.Its also posted.It includes a River Rats patch.These weren't worn on the Raid or even in country.

After(The Raid)the Raiders were invited to attend a River Rats Association Meeting (party).The Raiders were inducted into the Association.Many were still active Special Forces men.They flew to California and were made honorary members of the River Rats due to crossing the Red River during the operation.I personally saw his certificate in a Red envelope.Also photos of them on a jet airplane to and from California.Most appeared to be wearing new jungle jackets and on the return trip photos many sported a River Rats patchon the pocket.The vet told me they wwere made members at the banquet and given the patches and certificate there.Im sure non were ever worn on a uniform after the return or kept on the shirts they wore for the event.I dont recall the exact year but was 1972 or 1974 when the Raiders attended the banquet ceremony.Sadly this veteran has passed and I dont know the out come or disposition if his photos.

Here is one topic where the patch is posted.As stated to me by the vet these were given out to all Raiders in California who attended the banquet.His show removal from the jacket.

Where it was manufactured I dont have that information.

Im guessing a veteran of the association may have information to when, where and who made various bulk batches of insignia at any given time frame.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/275847-af-son-tay-raider-party-suit/?fromsearch=1

smwinter207

Great information. Thanks doyler.

Wherever they were made, I like seeing that these variations were used on a Party Suit.

How do we account for two party suits at the AF museum having these similar patches? Same cut edge and blue border. Did they bring them from the US?

The thing about party suits is they were worn decades after the war at RR events. They were also added to by many vets after they left SEA. There are no rules when it comes to these, it is up to the wearer to add what they desire. The RRVFP Country Store sold these from the beginning and there are several US made variations as well. We used to have a pilot in one squadron I was in that wore his RR patch on his flight suit on occasion. Like Ron says, they had annual stateside reunions and many got their patches there. The Asian made ones could wear out easily and could be replaced with the US made ones as well. There are so many combinations of party suit patches it defies any attempt to make real sense out of it. At the end of the day they are still good patches used by those that flew the missions, so it is worth having.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...
smwinter207

I finally received the patch in post #8. Very interesting construction. It has the cut edge blue like a US patch, but the stitching on the front is the long vertical style of the Thai made versions. All around well made item.

post-20483-0-02895800-1493134502_thumb.jpg

River Patrol

Some US patches can be mistakenly IDed as Asian made.....

• 1 month later...

Both RR patches are the US made ones. All the other patches look Thai made, except the 8 TFW may be Japan. Nice party suits!

Randy