Bell Bomber Plant Work Suit

WWIIDADS

The WWII Bell Bomber Plant in Marietta, Georgia is about 20 minutes from my home. It is now the assembly building for Lockheed C-130 Hercules Transports. From spring 1943 to September 1945, the employees built 663 B-29 Bombers for the Pacific Theatre war effort. I just ran across this rare coverall uniform in a local antique mall. The dealer told me it belonged to her husband's uncle who worked there. Currently, this is the third known remaining example of these uniforms, the other two among the collection of the Marietta History Museum in Marietta, GA. One of theirs was on loan to the Atlanta History Museum for a year long special exhibit. A real local historical treasure to me, but the bigger picture, it is a treasure of WWII history. Enjoy.

post-143615-0-89557300-1490796454.jpg

post-143615-0-29489600-1490796470.jpg

Definitely a super cool WW2 artifact. TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

I fully believe this is an incredibly under-appreciated aspect of WW2 collecting. These original WW2 homefront worker's uniforms are INCREDIBLY hard to find, but are very iconic of the war effort back here at home.

There's probably 1,000 WW2 Army/Navy/CG/USMC uniforms for every 1 original WW2 worker's uniform still in existence. These things simply weren't saved or were used up as utility wear (painting the house, yardwork, etc.) in the years following WW2.

Thanks guys. To put this in perspective, there were 28,000 workers at this plant for 2 years of B-29 production, and only three known surviving coveralls!!! That's rare!

Yeah, the Boeing Wichita plant was an equally large operation building the B-29. I have only ever seen about 5 or 6 WW2 era uniforms used by workers at this plant, and they were all "Inspectors" uniforms (patched shirts and coats/jackets) and 4 of them came were named to the same person and came from the same estate.

They are definitely VERY scarce.

It's a good bet that a lot of these were converted to civilian use.

Or, if they were considered company property, perhaps they were supposed to be turned in at the end of employment.

It does seem odd that these do not turn up more often.

• 3 months later...

Speaking of Bell Aircraft, I will share this here. post-2156-0-89999700-1501720646.jpg

I have a small collection of "Horn Buttons" and I am please to have gotten this one!