H4 Gentex Helmet Late 1940's & Photo Of Pilot In Flight Wearing Helmet

mds308

This was one of the helmets from the grouping. These items (plus more) came from the estate of LCDR James Odonnell USNR. LCDR was a WWII fighter pilot. In the first post I have his helmet and in the next post I have the picture of him flying an F8F Bearcat and his wing man snapped a picture of him. There is glare across the cockpit but you can clearly see the Vargas style stickers on his helmet. I believe this picture was taken in the late 1940s or very early 1950s. A very nice pair.

post-165739-0-11123900-1490751627_thumb.jpg

post-165739-0-31774800-1490751633_thumb.jpg

northcoastaero

Nice helmet! The helmet is actually an H-2. Much more difficult to find than the later H-4.

The H-2 did not use a separate liner like the H-3 and H-4 did. Also, the communications cables

are different and there should be a switch on the lower right rear of the H-2 to select the boom

microphone or oxygen mask microphone. Hope this helps.

northcoastaero

I just read that the single letter tail code was introduced sometime during 1950 for the Naval Air Reserve

units. The letter S represented NAS Norfolk, as stated on the F8F Bearcat.

Thanks northcoastaero. As always, you are full of knowledge. I'll be posting another helmet for you and others to review or just view.<br /><br />

It's very difficult to get H-1 and H-2 helmets. And most particulary if complete as your and personalized. A very nice set with the picture!

Franck