"US" Equipment Stamps

TheMinistryOfAviation

TheMinistryOfAviation

Hello all,

Is there a database on the forum of original "U.S." stencils vs fake/repros.

I've done a search but it yields quite a range of results, most of which have nothing to do with the stencils.

I'm specifically looking at one on a haversack that seems a bit too bold, but figured i'd ask more generally for future edification.

Thanks

-Jeremy

ParanormalTrooper

I would assume not, so many different variations of the "US" stencil were used in the war by so many different companies it would be impossible, if not INCREDIBLY hard to tell based just on the US stamp.

I know someone who has WWII dies who stamp chaplain items. It is hard to tell the difference. However I found there were more flaws with current stamps.

TheMinistryOfAviation

Thanks guys. I suspected there wasn't but didn't want to underestimate the chance an obsessive collector would compile such a list.

Chap15, do you have any examples you could post?

-Jeremy

Thanks guys. I suspected there wasn't but didn't want to underestimate the chance an obsessive collector would compile such a list.

Chap15, do you have any examples you could post?

-Jeremy

I do not but I will keep an eye out for it.

milsurp_scout_14

Here's some very obviously faked stamps I found on Rothco/ civilian camping gear at an antique mall....the 'US Army Air Forces' canteen was probably the one I laughed the hardest at. They were all priced in the $10-$20 range.

Also went to a show last week and found a large amount of items at a specific vendor that had been obviously stamped, but with a different style. The last two pics show the 'satchel, signal' that I bought--bag is clearly an original, but I don't recall ever seeing a manufacturer by the name of 'Ace Awng' as it's marked, and the marking looks very recent vs the rest of the bag. There were a number of other clearly original items with identical markings (M1 carbine pouches, bandage pouches, etc). Anyone with a list know of Ace Awning as a manufacturer?

post-153911-0-75726200-1491189402_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-37574500-1491189409_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-95278500-1491189415_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-14650800-1491189422_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-60987100-1491189717_thumb.jpg

post-153911-0-18630900-1491189724_thumb.jpg