This Has Got to Be A First

SKIPH

Just stumbled on to this ad on ebay. We have to study this. Ebay item # 172597436822. It's for one right side Wilde Tool grip for an M1905 bayonet. Starting price is $349.99. I do not know the seller. Is it me, or is this price way out there? I couldn't imagine anyone paying that much for a grip. If someone could post the ad, I'd appreciate it. I don't understand, that just seems ridiculous to me. Maybe $10-$15, but not $350. I realize the bayonets are fairly rare, but!!! SKIP

Just stumbled on to this ad on ebay. We have to study this. Ebay item # 172597436822. It's for one right side Wilde Tool grip for an M1905 bayonet. Starting price is $349.99. I do not know the seller. Is it me, or is this price way out there? I couldn't imagine anyone paying that much for a grip. If someone could post the ad, I'd appreciate it. I don't understand, that just seems ridiculous to me. Maybe $10-$15, but not $350. I realize the bayonets are fairly rare, but!!! SKIP

Wonder if he meant $34.99 & hit wrong button??

Al- A set sold for $202 ? This is why I like to bring these things up for discussion. If someone sold a set for that much, it'll keep raising the bar, at least for a while. I have one correct grip on my WT M1905E1, T can live with that. Especially at those prices. SKIP

That much? I have two sets of Wilde Tool grips; one on a converted WT M1 bayonet to a knife, and one on a UHF cut-down bayonet. Not for sale but nice to have.

The set for $202 was only one Wilde grip, the other was an early variant from another manufacturer. Someone got burned. Cut downs are going for several hundred, full size north of a grand regularly

Jeremy...You are correct; I had forgotten it was a mis-matched pair. Still went for $202. My WT blades all have the correct grips.

A complete set was listed recently for $375, and a best offer price was accepted, I don't know what the price was.

I have been watching M1905 grip auctions at Ebay for several weeks and see them going for stupid money. Mostly won by one person with deep pockets...More money can be realized from selling grips and blade separately. Many of these appear to be take-offs from Greek CMP bayonets.

For a while now the trend in selling trench knives, MK2s, MK1s etc, is to sell the knife, and the sheath or scabbard separately. This has jacked up the prices for both items. Now the trend will be to separate the grips and really jack up the prices. I'm seeing more every day. Long term I see this as a bad practice. It'll hurt collecting! SKIP

• 5 months later...

For whatever it's worth there are WT grips on ebay right now. Ebay 162690407882, Buy Now, left grip, $350. The other is a set, #253181523609 w/ a crack, for $500. Craziness! SKIP

It is. I think there was a cut down (not WT) bayonet with WT grips a week or so ago that sold BIN at $250. I guess it was a great buy considering you also got a decent blade with them.

I hate to say this, but I suspect that soon we'll see someone taking brown grips, and painting black rectangles on them. Then try to sell them as original WT grips at some insane price. Or even worse seeing one of those Chinese repro outfits doing it. They're already making M1, and M1905E1s w/ the various points. Be prepared gang! SKIP

Trouble I have with that approach is I've also seen the opposite many times. For reasons that often escape me something becomes the next hot thing. Like a fad it eventually goes quiet and many things don't hold on to their once perceived value.

Trouble I have with that approach is I've also seen the opposite many times. For reasons that often escape me something becomes the next hot thing. Like a fad it eventually goes quiet and many things don't hold on to their once perceived value.

I've seen this happen before, especially with German 1944 dated 84/98 bayonets. Forums such as this highlight specific models and everyone has to show off their examples. And those who don't have one start searching for one to add to their collection. And it snowballs from there and there is a demand on the market and prices escalate to an artificially high level. Then the bubble bursts and prices drop to a reasonable level, leaving a bunch of guys sitting on pieces that they paid way too much money for.