The Cologne Tank Battle (Video)

Cybermat47

On the 6th of March, 1945, at 1400 hours, US forces advanced to the centre of the German city of Cologne. Sherman tanks advanced along Komodienstrasse (Translation: Comedy Street) towards the Cathedral, only for the lead tank to be destroyed by a German Panther tank (aka Panzer V). Three of the Sherman's crew were killed, with two surviving.

In the parallel street, An den Dominikanern (Translation: To the Dominicans), American troops heard of the Sherman's destruction, and a Pershing tank was sent to destroy it. It did so, with two of the Panther's crew being killed and three surviving. Of the three survivors, two survived the war, and the fate of the last crewmember is unknown.

Remarkably, this battle was caught on camera, showing the Sherman's destruction, the desperate escape of the crew, one of whom has lost their leg, the Pershing's counterattack, and the escape of the German crew as their Panther becomes an inferno.

Great video I have seen it numberous time but find it remarkable each time

Commander looked ok except for his leg when he rolled across the back of the Sherman to bad he died I did not know that fact

I have watched this video many times over the years. As sad of a reminder of sacrifice and loss as it is, we are extraordinarily fortunate to have it as a historical record.

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this great document. i had never seen it before, and I must admit it's both impressive and eye opening. One can only be thankfull to the ones that served, died and lived through these time...

Thank you very much

Regards

JEB

I have watched this video many times over the years. As sad of a reminder of sacrifice and loss as it is, we are extraordinarily fortunate to have it as a historical record.

Absolutely. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Garandomatic

I find it interesting how quickly the panther flames up. Fits the narrative from "the chieftain" (researcher for world of tanks) from his "myths of American armor." A burned tank can't be repaired, so we'd both shoot them up until they flamed up.

I thought the same thing, and assumed it must have hit the ammo store. Created an absolute torch.

I find it interesting how quickly the panther flames up. Fits the narrative from "the chieftain" (researcher for world of tanks) from his "myths of American armor." A burned tank can't be repaired, so we'd both shoot them up until they flamed up.

If you notice, the Panther's turret & gun are pointing right at the Pershing. I read an article about this tank battle and in an interview with one of the surviving Panther crewmen (I don't remember which one), he said that they were ready to fire at the Pershing but they had never seen one before and thought it might have been a German tank. That hesitation was all the Pershing needed to take them out first.

Garandomatic

That's amazing. The gunner of the US tank is on a documentary. You can find about a 3 minute piece of it after you watch the 10 minute long clip. Anyways, he mentions getting off the first shot being important in a tank battle. I'd definitely like to see the German's side of that!