"Frozen Chosin" USMC Officer's Group W/ Mameluke & Japanese Sword

Marineradioop

Marineradioop

So, I haven't posted on here in a while, (Not that I have ever posted much) However, I just thought I had to share this grouping that I had the honor of acquiring today. I got all of these from the Marine's Daughter who said that no one in her family was interested in holding on to any of this, I will post more pictures after this.

The Marines name was Howard, G Blank Jr. And from what she told me he served under the 1st Marine Division in Korea in the 1st Battalion 5th Marines. She also mentioned that he retired in New Orleans after serving as the Recruiting Station New Orleans Commanding Officer some time in the 70s. She said that he had been in WWII Also, though a quick google search has not helped me out just yet. Maybe he was prior enlisted? Any thoughts or input would be appreciated!

post-157349-0-24154100-1490669895_thumb.jpgpost-157349-0-53364900-1490669915_thumb.jpg

Great looking group and the Chosin connection is very cool, I have one of O.P. Smiths uniforms and always look for Chosin uniforms so I'm a bit jealous.

Congrats!

The Marine Corps muster rolls detail that he went in as a Private in July, 1943 and went on to OCS and was commissioned in 1945. In 1958 he was a Major.

• 1 month later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

VERY nice!!! It's a shame the family didn't want to keep it but lucky for you!

Marineradioop

I recently received theses photos of Howard Blank in the mail. The group photo is very interesting in that it shows all of the A Co 1st Bn 5th Marines Lieutenants together. I learned that when he was a 2nd LT he was actually present when A/1/5 went over the sea wall in Korea when 1st LT Baldemero Lopez when the Medal of Honor. 2nd LT Blank was noted in the book "US Marine Operations in Korea 1950-1953 for his leadership as the Mortar Plt commander of A/1/5 (picture of that excerpt below.) It has certainly been fun researching his story to see how he was connected to some well known "Giants of the Corps."

post-157349-0-60014800-1494219038.jpg

post-157349-0-98411300-1494219051.jpg

post-157349-0-85245000-1494219064.jpg

Marineradioop

Here is the excerpt I found in the book mentioning his actions as the Mortar Plt Commander

post-157349-0-56304900-1494219554_thumb.png

Sand Flea

You have a very fine and historical collection from a warrior of the "forgotten war" Keep up the good work on the research and please keep us posted on what you find. Thank you for sharing with us.

Alex