VC(N)-103, VC(N)-90 "Bats" and VC(N)-2 | WWII Grouping with patches

walika

VF(N)-103 and VF(N)-90, VC(N)-2 | WWII

VF(N)-103 Established 6 Apr 1944, Disestablished/Re-designated VF(N)-90 25 Aug 1944 (Aircraft: F6F-5N)
VF(N)-90 Bats (Est 25 Aug 1944, Dis 21 Jun 1946) (Aircraft: F6F-5N)

When Lt. Cdr. Robert J. McCullough formed VF(N)-103 at Quonset Point, RI he began the process which eventually absorbed three other squadrons. By 25 Aug 1944, VF(N)-104, -105, and -106 had melded their identity into a new unit which became the VF(N)-90 Bats. The unit flew aboard Enterprise (CV-6) on Christmas Eve and remained until May, 1945. The next higher echelon of command was Commander Air Group (Night) 90 and then Commander Air Forces Pacific. Along with Night Torpedo Squadron 90, Night Fighting Squadron 90 (VF(N)-90 made up Night Air Group 90

In five months of intensive action at Luzon, Formosa, Tokyo, Iwo Jima, Okinawa and Kyushu, VF(N)-90 claimed 42 enemy planes destroyed, and 4 more damaged or destroyed, a VF(N) record bested only by VF(N)-41 operating from the carrier Independence in 1944.

Below is a grouping I acquired several years ago attributed to VF(N)-103 and VF(N)-90's commander, Lt. Cdr. Robert J. McCullough. It included unique detail and artwork on the squadron patch.

Decal on 4" leather round

VF(N)-103-700-1.jpg

Below, decal (9-1/4" across)

VF(N)-103-decal-700.jpg

A fascinating description by the insigne creator, renowned cartoonist Milton Caniff (1907-1988), transcribed below:

ACROSS THE FACE OF A FULL YELLOW MOON APPEARS A VAMPIRE BAT
DELINEATED AS A BEAUTIFUL TITAN-HAIRED WOMAN IN DOMINO
MASK AND TIGHT COSTUME OF THE SORT WORN BY BALLET DANCERS.
THE COSTUME AND WINGS ARE OF MIDNIGHT BLUE. THE BEAUTIFUL WOMAN
IS A PRESENT DAY CONCEPTION OF THE FIGUREHEADS CARRIED BY
OLDTIME SHIPS OF THE LINE, AS THE NIGHT FIGHTER AIRCRAFT IS A
SHIP UNTO ITSELF WHEN AIRBORNE. THE VAMPIRE BAT SYMBOLIZES
VFN'S ABILITY TO STRIKE IN THE NIGHT, DRAW BLOOD FROM THE
VERY THROAT OF THE ENEMY; WHILE THE BALLET COSTUME INDICATES
THE BEAUTY OF VFN'S FLIGHT, AND ITS GRACE. FINALLY, THE RED
HAIR OF THE FIGURE REPRESENTS THE CROWNING BADGE OF COURAGE
IN BATTLE. THE MASK SUGGESTS THE SECRECY OF THE SQUADRON'S
MISSIONS AND THEIR CONFUSION TO THE ENEMY. MILTON CANIFF

Color photo (8 x 10") and its negative

VF(N)-103-color-600.jpg

Black and white . . .

VF(N)-103-bw-600.jpg

Since this acquisition, I purchased the following 5" round, embroidered on wool . . .

VF(N)-103-700-2.jpg

This seems like a good place to add the the other element of Night Air Group 90, VT(N)-90 and VC(N)-2, acquired on this Monarch AN-J-3A . . .

VT(N)-90andVC(N)-1200.jpg

VT(N)-90 (5-1/2" embroidered on wool)

VT(N)-90-700.jpg

VC(N)-2 (flocked on fabric, 5-1/2" across)

VC(N)-2-700.jpg

pararaftanr2

walika,

Thanks for sharing your great VF(N)-90 insignia. I can't positively identify the two patches on that flight jacket, but neither is from the time VT(N)-90 was part of Night Air Group 90 aboard Enterprise during 1944-1945. I suspect the insignia with the bat and torpedo is from the period the squadron was reformed on the East Coast before the end of the war.

I am very fortunate to have a named grouping from their time in combat on Enterprise that includes two patched flight jackets and a loose patch. This insignia for VT(N)-90, the "Nite Life" squadron, is documented in their wartime squadron history and the design is attributed to one of their aviation radiomen, Roy Pintacura. They were painted on the waterproof type canvas used for engine and cockpit canopy covers aboard ship.

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-47514900-1490756817.jpg

post-9787-0-31132000-1490756920_thumb.jpg

pararaftanr2

Thanks Doyler! In my opinion, his helmet is the star of the grouping. He flew a tour with VT-10 aboard Enterprise previous to joining VT(N)-90 and actually flew with the same pilot for both tours. It would appear his helmet was decorated by his fellow radioman, Roy Pintacura, who did the squadron insignia, as I mentioned previously. His private purchase Airway goggles are also named on the strap.

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-89407400-1490818475_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Killer items Paul as always!

Walika I notcied that you have almost all of USN and USMC aviation patches from WW2!

The best regards,

Jerry