WWI "Send home" Model 1916 German Camo helmet by Capt. O.H. Tower Lansing Mich.

USMC-RECON0321

USCapturephotos

post-100030-0-51184100-1501510527_thumb.jpgI was just looking at your beautiful helmet again and thought I would add this photo to the discussion. It's one of my favorites in my collection and is in the real photo post card size showing a doughboy at a mailing home point. Notice how some of the helmets and other souvenirs are wrapped while others just have the shipping labels attached directly? Sorry for the annoying dime in the middle of the photo but I don't want my shot to get cut and pasted and plastered on the various Facebook forums, etc.

Paul

I don't mean to add some non-US research but thought this might be of interest for the bring back.

There is a Hans Kandeler in the WWI German casualties book. He is listed as having a light wound and with the 457th Infantry, 236th Division. Can't say exactly when this casualty occurred, but it would have been late in the war, since the listing is posted shortly after the war.

I am not sure if that unit would have been close to where your guys unit would have been or not. Would be worth pursuing with more research I think.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/5700775

Hope this is of interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The same man, confirmed by birth date, was also wounded in mid 1916, while with 53rd Reserve Infantry, 14th Reserve Division. At the time his unit was participating in the Battle of Verdun according to wiki page.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3950776

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/5690572

attachicon.gifww1helmets.jpgI was just looking at your beautiful helmet again and thought I would add this photo to the discussion. It's one of my favorites in my collection and is in the real photo post card size showing a doughboy at a mailing home point. Notice how some of the helmets and other souvenirs are wrapped while others just have the shipping labels attached directly? Sorry for the annoying dime in the middle of the photo but I don't want my shot to get cut and pasted and plastered on the various Facebook forums, etc.

Paul

Great picture..............it is interesting to know that with the world in turmoil and at war , there was still the time and effort allotted to ship piles of war booty back to the States.One can only wonder how many of those parcels took a "detour"before reaching the intended address.

USCapturephotos

Great point. I do remember speaking to a WW2 veteran one time who said he shipped home a bunch of stuff in a box and not one piece made it home. He said that he was most upset about the picture of his wife that got lost in that box.

Paul

USMC-RECON0321

I don't mean to add some non-US research but thought this might be of interest for the bring back.

There is a Hans Kandeler in the WWI German casualties book. He is listed as having a light wound and with the 457th Infantry, 236th Division. Can't say exactly when this casualty occurred, but it would have been late in the war, since the listing is posted shortly after the war.

I am not sure if that unit would have been close to where your guys unit would have been or not. Would be worth pursuing with more research I think.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/5700775

Hope this is of interest.

That is great information. Thank You! I would've never thought of or known how to research the German side of things. It would be great to put a complete research display with this helmet on both the US Soldier (From near my home town) and the German soldier it came from.

I appreciate the research!

Troy